• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1/16th radio-controlled scale model of Russian CHTZ T-800 dozer

tournaphil

modelt8002345web.jpg
completed-assembliesweb.jpg
chtzt8002334.jpg

Hi Guys. I recently completed this 1-16th scale model of the Russian ChTZ T-800 (T.75.01) bulldozer with Tilt-Blade and Ripper. The model is completely accurate in dimensions to the original 1:1 machine.

The 1:1 machine sits in between the D11N and D11T or just above the Komatsu D475-2 or just under the Komatsu D475-5 for a size comparison, weighs 106 tons with blade and ripper and has an 820hp engine with 4-speed power shift trans. It was made in the early 1980’s and at the time, was the largest crawler tractor in the world. At present, it still remains the largest crawler tractor to be manufactured on the European continent. Nine machines only were allegedly built. One machine still exists at the factory museum in Russia.

The model is designed in a Russian CAD program from the original factory machine plans by my friend in Russia. From those CAD drawings I made 2D DXF files myself and had the all the parts laser cut in metal. So I want to point out that I did not design the model, my friend in Russia did that, I did the 2D drawings for the laser cutters. The tracks are made in 3D SLA laser-sintered aluminium polyamide compound.
The frame is all welded 3mm steel sheet. The 8 per side bottom rollers have pre-loaded suspension rated 4.5 kg each.

The model is 34'' long, 15.75'' wide at the corner tips and weighs 60.5 lbs. It has Radio Control using a Turnigy 9XR Pro 8 channel radio, power is by 2 x 25Amp 12 volt dc car seat motors @ 190 rpm with a final drive reduction of 4:1 at the sprockets. Battery is a 12v 12Ah SLA. Motor controllers are one DE 2x32 for the drive and two DE 2x5’s for the blade and ripper respectively. Final drive is #35 simplex chain drive to 8mm drive shafts.

The model can push or pull 34.54 lbs at traction break on concrete (tested with a digital bag scale). The blade and ripper are operated by screw actuators. The blade tilts and the ripper tooth can be angled as well.

Time to make drawings: Approx 300 hours. To build model approx 2000 hrs.

Here is some links to the machine being tested at a closed coal mine. You'll find 6 videos all up. (Just type in CHTZ-T-800 model in youtube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McxEmBQQzOM

(above = 4 minute walk around)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u0fJL94y5Q

(above = 4th field test)

tournaphil

Update

blade parts laser cut.jpgblade mig-welded.jpgblade finished with draft arms and tilt cyl..jpgripper.jpgripper finished 1.jpg
Update. Some more pics of the big Russian. Blade parts laser cut, blade fabrication, finished blade, Ripper parts laser cut. The finished ripper.

Last edited:

tournaphil

Update

Here's an update. The model has been super-detailed off the 1:1 machine, those embarrassingly stupid looking actuators for the blade and ripper are gone. They are replaced with a set of ripper barrels and blade lift rams correctly scaled off the 1:1 machine plans that I made myself and turned up on the lathe. The model is now completed. I'll run some new vids down at the coal mine in November and put up some new tube links.

Next model I am intending to start next year is the Komatsu D575A-2 SR with straight tilt blade (not super dozer) in 1/16th radio control. Currently working on the plans for that. I expect that model will weigh 80lbs +.

Attachments

• DSHEF update pic.jpg
    DSHEF update pic.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 269
  • HEF update 2.jpg
    HEF update 2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Hi Tournaphil, I think I met you at the little coffee shop in Santa Margarita, CA last spring when 8 or so of us were setting up antique equipment for the show there. I think I recall that Phil was your name. That is a very cool model and it was fun when you showed us your book of pictures and explained it all to us. I look forward to your next one. Are you going to make the show again. It will be the ACMOC National show this year on Memorial Day weekend.

tournaphil

Hi Tournaphil, I think I met you at the little coffee shop in Santa Margarita, CA last spring when 8 or so of us were setting up antique equipment for the show there. I think I recall that Phil was your name. That is a very cool model and it was fun when you showed us your book of pictures and explained it all to us. I look forward to your next one. Are you going to make the show again. It will be the ACMOC National show this year on Memorial Day weekend.

Hey OIH, yep, I remember you at the Santa Margarita coffee shop - Glen got us the lunch. I'd just got over from Chicago for the BOTW after Brownsville PA show. Sorry for the lateness of my reply,forgot to check back here. Yes I'll be there again,in fact I'll go a few weeks early and help Glen with getting all the machines down from Petaluma or wherever they are. Look forward to catching up again. Cheers

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Hey OIH, yep, I remember you at the Santa Margarita coffee shop - Glen got us the lunch. I'd just got over from Chicago for the BOTW after Brownsville PA show. Sorry for the lateness of my reply,forgot to check back here. Yes I'll be there again,in fact I'll go a few weeks early and help Glen with getting all the machines down from Petaluma or wherever they are. Look forward to catching up again. Cheers

I'll see you there. We are going to get there a week early also and take in the engine show the weekend before. I am hauling out a 1/2 scale steam Pheniox log hauler that a friend built. It still weighs 5,000 lbs.

tournaphil

I'll see you there. We are going to get there a week early also and take in the engine show the weekend before. I am hauling out a 1/2 scale steam Pheniox log hauler that a friend built. It still weighs 5,000 lbs.

Sounds good. Didn't know about the engine show, assume it's at the ranch?. Ill go to that show too.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Sounds good. Didn't know about the engine show, assume it's at the ranch?. Ill go to that show too.

No, I think it is in Paso Robles this year. My friend is the engine builder. Year before last he took half of an extinct engine he drew up on CAD. His buddy in Washington built the other half and they assembled it and had it running during the show. He has more faith in his fabrication than I do.

tournaphil

Update december 2016 - new video links

UPDATE:

I've shot some new vids of the T-800 model down at the closed coal mine. The earlier videos (youtube links) above this message have now been deleted and replaced by these since the model is super-detailed now and finished. So the old links above this post are no longer active.

Here's the new links:

Overburden Push – 6 mins
https://youtu.be/6oUw-TBDPPA

Ripping And Bulldozing - 9 mins
https://youtu.be/MI1NXRn4El0

Machine Walkaround - 3 mins
https://youtu.be/4nIuJepg-iE

This completes this model of the big Russian.

The next model is the Komatsu D575A-2-SR. (Straignt-Blade, Single -Shank). I've been doing some of the drawings for the main frame in prep for the laser cutter. Won't be much now till end January.

This is the version I am building:
D575A-2-SR.jpg

(Photo taken by kayakrazy)

Cheers

tournaphil

track frames drive line test fitting.jpg

Some interested persons have asked about progress on the Komatsu D575A model in 1/16th scale, radio controlled mentioned above. So here's the current progress: The model is being built using the manufacturers parts drawings and also using photos to drawings scaled as best I can. Tracks are finished and the drive line has been test-fitted for alignment prior to TIG welding the main frame. I'm very happy with the track chains and grousers, they should be unbreakable. I've turned up the carrier rollers on the lathe recently. This thing is already weighing in at 45lbs so its going to be heavy, I'm guessing about 70lbs with straight blade and either a single or 3-tine multi-shank like the dash-2 models had. Those motors are 12V - 25 Amp stall torque each and then they are geared down by 15.78:1 at the output shafts and again by 4.92:1 via chain drive to the final drive output shafts. The track frames are prototypes at this stage to test fit the track tensioner which is fully adjustable and can be pre-loaded to any lb rating. Though heavier by about 35 tons than the Russian T-800 in 1:1 with a straight -blade, it's about the same size as the T-800, the T-800 being longer in the track frames by nearly 2 yards. That T-800 is a big tractor in 1:1. According to reports on the internet, the D575A is no longer in production, the last machine went to Australia and, according to reports, some eighty D575A's were built. The world's two largest production crawler tractors are no more.

More progress after Best Of The West.

frame aligned for TIG.jpg
prototype track frame.jpg
Track Frame overlays.jpg
View attachment 169056

Last edited:

tournaphil

Field test at coal mine 2016.jpg
And here's another pic of the finished T-800 model being field tested at a closed coal mine.

And here's a pic of the 1:1 at home in Russia.

T-800 working.jpg

Last edited:

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
That is awesome would you happen to know where I could buy a rc tractor for my son he would get a kick out of playing with something like that I admire your creativity I don't think I could do something like that

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
No, I think it is in Paso Robles this year. My friend is the engine builder. Year before last he took half of an extinct engine he drew up on CAD. His buddy in Washington built the other half and they assembled it and had it running during the show. He has more faith in his fabrication than I do.

Can you elaborate on this engine show? What is it?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
It's of California built engines only. I found out a few weeks ago that's it by invite only. My friend has a buddy in the club. It's called the California Gold Show. Maybe being a Californian you qualify.