• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1/87 scale model of Kress carriers

slagpot

Hello all,

In my spare time , I'm a model railroader modeling a fictional steel mill. Steel mill vehicles can't be bought ...so I have to scratch build them.

So far I've built two carriers from the Kress family. The first {the orange one} is a kress hot metal ladle carrier. The second is a 1970's design scrap box carrier, both models are scratch built/ kit bashed using a HO scale norscot caterpillar 627G scraper front end.The rest of models is completely scratch built including the scrap box.

The last photo is of Wal-mart toy bulldozers that I've added details to.

Below are pictures of my work.

Slagpot

DSC00229.jpg

Kresscarrier002.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/Dragonriversteel/DSC00234.jpg[/IMG ]

[IMG]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/Dragonriversteel/DSC00231.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

MOWdozertesttrack001.jpg

tylermckee

Any more info on the construction proccess? how many hours do you have into each one? what kind of tools and material do you use?

slagpot

tylermckee said:
Any more info on the construction proccess? how many hours do you have into each one? what kind of tools and material do you use?

The hot metal ladle carrier {orange one} took about four weekends to complete {36 hours tp be exact}.The scrap box carrier took two weekends including the amount of time to build the scrap box itself {12 hours}.

As for tools.....a dremel,hobby tools,tons of styrene plastic,old toy parts,sand paper and a bunch of spare time.

Slagpot

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
i'm into the hobby as well,excellent pieces.you end up having to scratchbuild your cars too?

lol Electra_Glide at least you can run your models :confused: mine are in boxes in the attic :rolleyes: .

slagpot

murray83 said:
i'm into the hobby as well,excellent pieces.you end up having to scratchbuild your cars too?

lol Electra_Glide at least you can run your models :confused: mine are in boxes in the attic :rolleyes: .

Freight cars or vehicles ? If vehicles, most companys offer 1/87 vehicles now. Wal-mart ,here in the state have them.Mostly I buy kibri vehicles,their the only ones that carry heavy equipment,other than norscot.

Glad you guys like the models:)

Slagpot

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
freight cars actualy lol least your not into N scale scratchbuilding those units :wink2

Last edited:

slagpot

murray83 said:
freight cars actualy lol least your not into N scare scratchbuilding those units :wink2

Ah....all of my freight cars are high end kits,such as walthers,Athearn,Roundhouse,Atlas and so on and so forth.The steel mill cars are a mixture of Walthers,Trix,scratch built,State tool & die {slab cars}, and others.

The one behind the orange kress ladle carrier is a Trix model of a 300 ton hot metal car,a 16 axle die-cast monster of a steel mill car. I bought all the Walthers steel mill kits,from the blast furnace to the rolling mill and all the little bugger's between.

Yup my trains are in rubbermaid boxes for now,till I build a shed in Jan 07.So I'm stuck to my work bench till that point in time....rats.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I'm a big fan of model railroading, since I was about 5 I've had a train set. Never had the room for a full on permanent layout, but my uncle is big into the hobby and he has a 10X20 room done pretty nice. He's been working on it a good 10 years, still not finished, you know how it is. Someday maybe when I'm retired I'll have a house with a garage and a good sized upstairs studio to the garage I could dedicate to the hobby. Right now, it's school, work, and I'm blowing my extra cash (whatever little I have) on professional photography equipment, it's my newest adventure.