• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

10" vs. 12" tires

mert0714

Charter Member
The only thing the 10" is going to gain is more traction in hard snow applications and narrower overall width. Otherwise (added to Steve's) they are more likely to rut up the grade(psi), possibly fail sooner and may get stuck easier(psi). Unless you are doing tracks and then there may be differences that I can't comment on. We have the 15.5" wide tires for psi and weight capacity because we cannot use tracks for our application.

Occupation
Tree service & chainsaw carving
I was looking at a Scat Trak machine that had 10" tires. Anybody have experience with 12" on a 1300C? I would probably be putting tracks on the machine anyways. - Eric

earthwerks

My buddy with a New Holland LS170 (came with 10") put the same 12" tires I have on my much larger LS180. The problem he has is the 12" tires stick out past the bucket edge. And since they are about 2-1/2" taller, his bucket doesn't sit flat to the ground by 1-1/4" at the heel. Since I put steel tracks on mine it now has the same problem of not sitting low enough.

Last edited:

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
I ran into the same problem using over the tire tracks and found an adapter plate that goes between the bucket and the quick attach assembly that lowers the bucket heel 1 1/4 inches. It is real heavy duty and pretty easy to install. If I remember right it came from Grouser. I have the new Loegering VTS track system and therefore am selling my tracks, this adapter, and wheel spacers. The adapter worked well and allowed me to do finish grading with the tracks. It is near impossible to do a good job without it.