• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

11 year old boy operating a 80 longreach excavator video safely

BarnStarFarm

I grew up haying with my grandfather- I was raking (ground-driven) with the '72 JD 820 at the age of 8- big field going round and round in 1-4- can't do much damage and I learned to rake straight windrows early so that when I graduated to the mo-co and the baler a few years later I appreciated why straight was important. We put up the better part of 8000 bales every summer depending on the weather and I was the only operator in the crew who didn't kick any bales off the wagons one whole summer at the age of 14- never before and never since repeated in 25 years by anyone but me.

Now my 11 year old son drives our New Holland TC33 boomer (seatbelt on of course, and the ROPS ALWAYS up) for plowing snow, york-raking and runs the backhoe on the tractor pretty handily. He also runs our Takeuchi TB070 on occasion and is smoother on the controls than either his father or I. Do I allow him to run anything out of sight of an adult? NO. Is he ALWAYS able to repeat back the job at hand before he starts so we're all clear on the expectations? YES. We have agreed-upon signals across the family as well as one signal that always means "Shut it down NOW no questions" for any unsafe behavior. We couldn't do the work we are doing without him so necessity became a good teacher and he's the ONLY 11 year old I know that I would trust within a mile of our equipment. We don't actually allow any of his buddies around the equipment when we are working because most of them haven't been taught any safety skills or situational awareness. We also do not allow our son to run any equipment off the farm. So a lot of words to say that some kids in some situations are good operators.

Last edited: