• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1950's era Euclid Dump Truck Wanted

Delmer

Seems like there was an old green off road truck in the Marshfield WI area a year or three ago. Wausau craigslist. Could have been late 40's even? I'd hate to think what it would cost to move, but if you only wanted parts, that could work.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just Why??

Worked on these when they were not 50 years old and had decent parts availability, that no longer exists, so "Why"?

Agree! I mean is this person is starting a collection for a museum? If so that's one thing or just wanting to relive a past life maybe?

There was one just about five miles from my house for years if not decade up till last fall with a "For Sale" sign in window.

Amazing what you can find on Google Earth:
Old Euclid.jpg
Was tempted at times to see what they wanted for it, but don't think wife would appreciate it for a lawn ornament! Would have been fun cranking it up early the morning after jerk neighbor had one of their parties the night before! Not sure if it had a Cummins or a 6-71 Detroit. I would prefer the Detroit for the morning after wake-up call with a straight pipe!

That one could actually have been one of the trucks they used when the quarry I worked at was first opened in the mid-1960's!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Quarries I contracted with had numerous, was the primary haul truck until Payloader IH became more popular. Most were 6-71 a number had 6-110s, the only one I am aware is still here is at Weber Quarry at Antire Rd Eureka MO and is their roadside sign. The remainder were scrapped no later that 1990-1995. Lack of parts, **** poor brakes, the two strokers, and fatigue of the steel in them had them predominantly sidelined by safety departments. Payloaders were outclassed by Cats and disappeared by 2000-2005.

Old Doug

I dont know if there is any still around were i worked its on the way to town i will look if i go to town today.
Just Why??

Worked on these when they were not 50 years old and had decent parts availability, that no longer exists, so "Why"?
Its about the last thing i would ever want to fix up.

kshansen

Occupation
For many years the quarry I worked at had 3 74TD Euclids with 12V-71's. On those the exhaust was routed though the frame of the dump body to heat it so material would not freeze in in the cold weather. However when dumping the load the connection to the body was open and the exhaust was straight out with no muffling of any kind!

After we were up-graded to Cat 769 trucks the Euclids were moved to a gravel bed the company ran up north. From the pit they were using at that time to the crusher and screening plant was about a mile drive through the woods down a narrow dirt road. If you had to go down that road with a pick-up you were wise to have a window open so you could hear if one was coming. They would be running right near 40 mph and fully loaded with 35 to 40 tons of gravel on the back!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Newer end or transplant Euc with a Cummins. Only good place for these is a History Book.

Tugger2

My first day on a Euc. up in camp,the super took me for a ride to show me how it was done.Id only had a drivers licence for a year at age 17 ,let alone any kind of licence to drive in the bush. Hes driving we come around a sharp corner and meet the loaded Euc.coming the other way head on. Both truck bite the weeds and gently lay on thier sides in a deep soft ditch. The 966 is called down from the pit and the mess is sorted out. Off i went fully broke in as a driver. They were good trucks on the flats ,but it made my knees shake some days hauling ballast up on a steep logging road.img691.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That extra wide rub rail on the dump bed on the ones I worked on had gouges deep enough to hide mice. Patch plates all down the side as were used as much for braking as Side rail supports.

kshansen

Occupation
Those old Euclids like drove were hard riding the newer ones like the R-35 had the independent coil spring front suspension and road a little better if a little "floaty"! Also if you did not keep them greased they would wear out and cost a ton to repair, did that a couple times!

Last one we had I installed grease lines from all the various points to blocks by the front bumper made greasing them a simple job and when that one went to auction the frontend was a tight as new! Then again I was the person seeing to it that it was grease and not like in the past when the operators were suppose to do it!