• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1959 Michigan 75 A

GreenMtnMan

Occupation
Truck Driver
I joined the forum recently, some may recognize me from other forums. I have a 1959 75 A which I am having rebuilt at a local heavy equipment shop. They are working on it in between regular jobs at a reduced rate, but it's taking them awhile. I can try to put up some pics if anyones interested.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Wow, that's definitely an antique, not many of them left in good working order. Michigan and Clark were building good old loaders long before Cat even got any loader models out into the showrooms.
They were pretty crude, but very simple, and they kept going. Rear steer is pretty limiting, but that was the foremost design back then. Someone else on here has one as well .....

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?15708-Michigan-75a-loader

GreenMtnMan

Occupation
Truck Driver
I will see what I can do. These are from April 9, 2009, the day I got it. The Waukesha 190 barely ran, and pretty much every thing on it was worn out. It even had the tilted rear wheel issue. At this point I should have had my head examined.

GreenMtnMan

Occupation
Truck Driver
The loader has a Mack seat in it. I don't know what the original seat would be. That's one of the things on my wish list.

IMG_2387Re.JPG

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I don't know what the original seat would have been, either - but it sure wouldn't have been an air-assisted Bostrom! :D The original would've been a pretty basic seat.
If you go looking for an original sales brochure or a parts catalog, it will more than likely give you an idea of design or make of the original seat.
Not too people are too concerned about a precisely original seat, and installing a better seat than the original would have always been a common move, even when the loader was a few years old.
We're always amused by photos of "antique Cat finds" - and usually, more than half of these finds, have the "high-back bucket seat option". :D

Komatsu 150

Mich 75A seat2.jpgHere you go. This is from the parts book and it's pretty poor illustration. It appears to be one piece but is actually two separate pieces not connected to each other. The bottom just sits on the frame work above the batteries. The seat back has a metal frame that bolts to the back of the operators compartment. They are just pieces of plywood with foam cushions and a vinyl cover stapled to the plywood. I spent many many hours on there and it was painful. I replaced ours with a seat from An Allis Chalmers HD7.

Komatsu 150

The link if it works is to a video of ours after being started for the first time in fifteen years in a shed. The video begins one minute after the engine started because I did not expect it to start as easily as it did. No ether, no battery charger, and with a lawn mower battery (well a big lawn mower). I pushed the button, it cranked for less than fifteen seconds and ran. Surprised the heck out of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k_-fzKkCMs

GreenMtnMan

Occupation
Truck Driver
Couple more from day of purchase. Pretty well worn out but complete. Brakes work and engine side covers are there. Got the canvas sides for the cab. One of the more expensive repairs was the counterweight which was hanging. More of a cosmetics issue but the machine deserves to look respectable.

IMG_2375HEFRe.JPG

IMG_2386HEFRe.JPG

GreenMtnMan

Occupation
Truck Driver
From February of this year the counterweight repair was done. What happened was the two rearmost bolts broke off and were welded onto the outside. It took a 60 ton press and alot of heat to get the front bolts out of the weight. Also the engine and tourque converter are out and the rear axles and planetaries are being rebuilt. Alot of dough for what will be giant wheelbarrow, but I plan on being around for many more moons, and I know all the repairs were done right. The guys at the shop know what they are doing and are better than O.E.

IMG_4025HEFRe.JPG

GreenMtnMan

Occupation
Truck Driver
Waukesha 190 on the test stand. This engine was tired, zero compession in one hole, 6 pounds in another. Completely rebuilt, only things reused are the rods, crank and camshaft. New starter, N.O.S. fuel pump to replace electric one. Carb rebuilt. Lots of bucks, but the motor will run better than new, I know it will always start and run great as long as I am around.

IMG_4019Re.JPG

IMG_4021Re.JPG

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
You're looking good. I would have thought that such a serious investment in new engine components would have at least run to some nice flash VHT paint on the manifolds, and maybe even a chrome tip on the muffler? :D

dirk deman

hello,
My name is Dirk from Belgium....I am madly in love with the Michigan 75a model....So much,I am trying to make an exact model of the machine.
But I miss some exact messurements...And now I was wondering if maybe you can give me the right information as Ur (magnificent) machine has been taken to parts at this moment....(?)
Dirk.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
I do have an operators/shop manual for that machine with some tech info. It's a hard copy and my only one, but I can pass on answers to most questions about maint. and specs.

GreenMtnMan

Occupation
Truck Driver
Dirk - I'll be happy to get you some measurements. The machine is being worked on in another town, and I don't get a chance to there often. Seabee - I appreciate the offer, I have a set of manuals that came with the machine. The thing I'm trying to find out now is what is the code for Michigan yellow paint. I did go visit the machine today and got a couple of pics.

IMG_4320ReHEF.JPG

IMG_4321ReHEF.JPG

dirk deman

Many thanks!!!!
I am not allowed to put pics on this site,but I can give U a link to u-tube where I put two small video's of the model I made....
I will try to put a picture as well with an ''technical drawing'' of the mesurements I would like to have...
Maybe the model is about 95% correct,but I would like confirmation,that's all.
The link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntPOb61270
Bthw,Ur michigan is looking GREAT allready!!!!
Dirk,Belgium.

dirk deman

cabine 019.jpg
I finally figured out how to put an image on this site...At first,not allowed.
This is a picture of the model I made so far...
Dirk.

GreenMtnMan

Occupation
Truck Driver
I called Minnpar with the part number for the Clark yellow paint. It is no longer available and they do not have a source. So it looks like my Michigan will be painted Cat yellow.

Cat_man320

So whats the plan ? to build this to show car status or a work horse. Me and my dad had a 75a for 20 years , . They are a fine old loader for the era . If your going to use it as a work horse and try to make money with it , i would have dumped the engine especial the gas model . Ours was a Wakasha diesel . The loader is simple design , transmission is stout unless you abuse it . Few issues we had were trying to keep brakes on it , hydraulic assist steering is a torment, the stops that keep the rear steering wheels from twisting too much must be in place and adjusted correctly , if not you will break the universal inside the steering ball .
We dumped the old engine in ours and put a 471 GM . what satisfaction we had after that and made thousands clearing snow . we had a one way blade made up and it worked great . I still know for a few of them . Best of luck on your build .