• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1966 Pettibone MultiKrane Model 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjeans

Occupation
Orthopaedic Surgeon
Posted this in the Crane Forum but thought it appropriate for the OLD IRON forum as well. I consider 1966 old? Pictures to follow.

Just purchased my first crane. 1966 Pettibone MultiKrane Model 25.

It's in pretty rough shape: Stuck in low gear, no throttle control (unless you count the string tied to the injector pump control), can't seem to get it into reverse, and generally looks abused (small trees growing in cab).

On plus side: detroit diesel starts easily (minimal black smoke), all boom functions appear to work, cost less than $5k (so I have some $$ to get it fixed).

Seller sent Tippin Parts Manual, but no Service or Owner's Manual.

Plan is to get throttle working so I can move it to a convenient place to work on it. Any suggestions on getting it into reverse? (I have seen elsewhere in the forum that this is an issue with the MK25 but no real solution given)

NOW FOR MY QUESTIONs:

Where do I start?
Change fluids? filters? hydraulic hoses? etc.?
Then what?

Tires have dry rot. Do they need to be replaced? Or can they be used as long as they hold air?

Does anyone know where I can get a Service or Owner's Manual?

BACKGROUND
My Planned Use:
Plan to use it on my farm to build a barn. Biggest lift will be 40' shipping container (8500#) about 30' on top of 2 other containers. Otherwise I will use it minimally for lifting downed trees and moving rocks on my farm. May keep or sell it depending on my needs.

My Background:
In a previous life, I was a mechanical engineer drilliing oil/gas wells for Exxon (not BP, sounds like they did some really stupid things) in the gulf. Now I'm an Orthopaedic Surgeon (pay is better and no corporate politics). I enjoy working on and using heavy equipment when I have time. This is a hobby.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/GregEJ:)

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Posted this in the Crane Forum but thought it appropriate for the OLD IRON forum as well. I consider 1966 old? Pictures to follow.

Even though it may be appropriate because of its age, having two identical threads about the same subject can lead to confusion. Not just for everybody else, but for you as well, it's best to have all the replies in one place.

I'm going to close this one, but here's a link to the other thread about your crane.

Good luck with your new aquisition.

And welcome to HEF. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.