• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1969 Case 580ck Tranny cooler?

lovmyhoe

I am a new 580 owner and I have the radiator, pump, and grill removed so that I could excavate the 5 gal. bucket of dirt and rocks from under the said parts. My last post I was considering whether or not to epoxy or replace the intake pump tube/pipe, so I used JB stuff and it LOOKS like it might work. [ see enclosed pictures ] I bought a new radiator with out the cooler for the transmission [ I assume it is a trans cooler ] My question is can I use a car/truck trans cooler instead of the one in the rad? Does anyone know how much pressure is in those lines? [ see pictures ] I need to drain and flush the hydraulic and tranny fluids as they are badly contaminated with water, looks like coffee with a lot of creamer. Thank-you to everyone who helped me with my last post. lovmyhoe

Attachments

• IMG_3375.JPG
    IMG_3375.JPG
    332.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3371.JPG
    IMG_3371.JPG
    732.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3372.JPG
    IMG_3372.JPG
    485.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3374.JPG
    IMG_3374.JPG
    634.9 KB · Views: 24

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
While i do not have any specific pressures, the cooler is in line with the high pressure system so the pressures involved would be in the 200+ plus range so you should get a cooler with a good safety margin rating,in my opinion your cooler should be rated at 4-500 lbs. I doubt if the aftermarket automotive style are rated that high, never really checked into it as we always went OEM in the shop, would not mind seeing someones cooler conversions and what they used for coolers.

lovmyhoe

Thanks Melben for your reply! I guess I am a little shocked about high pressure when I consider that the line formally went to the bottom of the radiator. Usually when an area is large in square inches the less pressure it is capable of handling. I am going to try and find what auto. trans. coolers are rated for. Thanks lovmyhoe

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
odd to me a cooler can operate with a one line system should have a supply and return tubing, guess i missed something
Not really, the cooler is pressurized with full system pressure, it is in line between the pump and the control valve for the shuttle. Most cooler systems are cooling excess oil on the other side of system relief not required for system operation, as such they only cool a portion of the flow, not so with the early Case systems, all pump flow is cooled before it reaches system components. As such the cooler has a supply to cooler in and a supply to system out.