• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1984 Cat 931 Help

surferboy120

I didn't look back through earlier posts but my thoughts would be to inspect/repair/lubricate/adjust the external control linkages first before moving forward.
Some great points... I have done this as part of my first inspection of the machine. I even had to replace the return spring for the left brake so the pedal would not stick. It seems the brakes may be just out of adjustment from how it is behaving. I will check the current adjustments from where the manual recommends and adjust accordingly. My fingers are crossed its somewhat simple.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
TBH I would recommend that first you disassemble the linkage completely (without doing anything to change the adjustment) then clean & lubricate each component. Unfortunately because of its location under the floor that linkage gets badly affected by dirt and contamination.

surferboy120

TBH I would recommend that first you disassemble the linkage completely (without doing anything to change the adjustment) then clean & lubricate each component. Unfortunately because of its location under the floor that linkage gets badly affected by dirt and contamination.
I didnt disassemble it but did lubricate and checked for any kind of binding. I also broke loose all the locking nuts and they all came free without issue. I will have some additional help this weekend so I can take it further if needed. The nice thing about this machine is I have no real rust or dirt caking. Its a very clean machine. Even when I took the pads off when doing the track work they all broke loose with minimal effort. I have been surprised thus far.

surferboy120

If anyone has suggestions on how to address the seat with new foam\cover or to replace it I would be open to ideas. Its the biggest eyesore on the machine.

Welder Dave

I'd put a new seat on from a place like Ultra seats. They are reasonably priced and you can even get covers to protect them. They are much cheaper than getting a seat from Grammer or Sears seats. My machine has a backhoe and uses a flip over seat so I had to get a new wooden seat base made with foam and covering. Thankfully I found a good upholstery shop to do it. I put a new Ultra seat with arm rests in the grader for about $400cad.