• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1990 Dresser loader--Opinions?

need2feet

I am new to this, but would like info on a 1990 Dresser loader that we are considering buying for the ranch. It is a 530 model and would be used for grubbing mesquite trees. Will it hold up and how do you think it rates?:confused:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
need 2 feet posted this question in the Ford loader thread. Since it's a different animal, I've given it its own thread.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I don't care for the design of the machine. The cab is located on the forward section rather than the rear like most other loaders. I find this to be very awkward in running the machine, but I'm accustomed to the other style.

If you are not experienced with a rear cab machine, it might not make any difference, I'm fighting what I'm traditionally accustomed to.

I'd also check on parts availability. Dresser was never really strong in the loader market and parts may be hard to find.

OneWelder

We tried one years and years ago.What i didn't like was that rear wheels did not follow the same track as the front wheels . When your use to the back wheel following the same track as ft. wheel, + trees on a tight lot = some interesting situations
Mechanically I do not remember them as being that bad

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF need2feet! :drinkup

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
As I recall the 530 Dresser wheel loader became the WA 300 Komatsu wheel loader. Parts can be obtained through any Komatsu dealer but it might take some time as they will most likely have to be shipped to you from somewhere else.

Mr. Frazier is correct about the front mounted cab. It also does subject the operator to more shock and vibration from the bucket than the rear mounted machines. If you learn to operate on one of these they were great. I never met an operator that started on rear mount that could get completely comfortable with the front mount.

On the plus side though they were tough machines and lasted a long time in some pretty nasty operations. I believe this machine will have the International 466 engine which was bullet proof. It has liners and is almost infinitely rebuildable as opposed to today's parent metal engine blocks. The transmissions were countershaft types which anyone could rebuild. The steering was the most simple and effective system on any loader and never gave the kinds of problems the old mechanical linkage Cats had.

I would look it over real close because its bound to have many thousands of operating hours on the clock. Blow by from the engine, center hitch play, implement joint play, brakes and transmission slippage will be your major concerns.

Good Luck!