• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2004 International 7300

materthegreater

Just bought this truck so I'm starting a thread because I know I'll have tons of questions. My first "real" truck even though it's just a class 7.

Starting with some preliminary info:
2004 International 7300 4x4 DT466
Allison MD3060-P

PXL_20210908_193800855.MP.jpg PXL_20210908_194222062~2.jpg PXL_20210908_194244130.jpg

materthegreater

First question is about the transmission shifter. How do the mode and Allison symbol buttons work? And, more specifically, how do the modes D1 through D5 change how the transmission works?

PXL_20210927_175012357.jpg

Jonas302

The Mode switch may or may not change shift points lock out gears ect depending on how it was programmed

Nice looking truck

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Look at mine if you like. Mine is 5/8" steel. Due to unusual dump geometry, mine is mounted to the dump body. I have very heavy duty dump hinges plus a 1-1/2" pin at front of body to hold front of body down. Hitch I just bought to freshen up my truck came from Weaver Distributing.
I also have a 3" receiver below the pintle for other trailers, also from Weaver. I assume they have a website, but I have a catalog. I usually call. Don't get the best informed employee first, but I always get a call back quickly.

materthegreater

Thanks for the info guys.

My 550 has a 1/2" plate so I figured I'd need thicker for this truck. Or at least higher grade steel.

Looked at Premier and Weaver. Now I have to decide!

materthegreater

Look at mine if you like. Mine is 5/8" steel. Due to unusual dump geometry, mine is mounted to the dump body. I have very heavy duty dump hinges plus a 1-1/2" pin at front of body to hold front of body down. Hitch I just bought to freshen up my truck came from Weaver Distributing.
I also have a 3" receiver below the pintle for other trailers, also from Weaver. I assume they have a website, but I have a catalog. I usually call. Don't get the best informed employee first, but I always get a call back quickly.

Now I'm intrigued to see how you have it mounted to the dump body. Maybe I'll have to take a Sunday afternoon drive over the mountains to take a look sometime.

One thing that surprised me about the pintles is that they don't seem to have more than 6000 lb tongue weight rating until you get to 30 ton capacity or so.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Now I'm intrigued to see how you have it mounted to the dump body. Maybe I'll have to take a Sunday afternoon drive over the mountains to take a look sometime.

One thing that surprised me about the pintles is that they don't seem to have more than 6000 lb tongue weight rating until you get to 30 ton capacity or so.
Hitch.jpg Hitch Warning.jpg

materthegreater

I may end up going with a 30 ton like that one. I'm sure it would exceed anything the truck is capable of. I was originally planning to get a 20 or 25 ton but as mentioned they seem to all have 6000 lb vertical load limit.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Congrats on the truck! I like the 4x4, it'd be nice sometimes to have a small 4x4 dump on some of our work sites.

As other's have said 1/2" - 5/8" plate and 30 ton pintle, the bigger the better on hitch IMO just for the safety factor. The weight of the larger hitch is negligible so might as well have the peace of mind.