• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2004 International 7300

materthegreater

From the Navistar site:
ENGINE, DIESEL {International DT466 Standard Torque} EPA 1998, Electro-Hydraulic Fuel System, 215HP @ 2300/2600 RPM, 560 lb-ft Torque @ 1400 RPM, 2600 RPM Governed Speed, 225 Peak HP (Max)

I believe the highest HP rating for the DT466e was 230 HP.

Thanks, I figured this was the standard torque version. I've read that the high torque version has ratings up to 300 HP, but also has different hardware (pistons connecting rods, injectors, etc).

mekanik

I believe the HT570 was a DT466 with a longer stroke crank to give it more displacement and power. The early electronic DT466 was never a powerhouse but they sure lasted.

materthegreater

Maybe I'll just slap a SMV symbol on the tailgate and leave the powertrain alone!

Anyway, today I'm working on installing a 2-1/2" receiver tube. The question is, do I leave it sticking out behind the hitch plate, or recess it flush with the surface?

PXL_20230501_142012174.jpg

PXL_20230501_142102224.jpg

materthegreater

Next project: engine braking of some sort. This truck has no exhaust brake or transmission retarder. From what I've read, the DT466 cannot be retrofitted with a Jake brake. The service brakes do work well but I would like to add an exhaust brake for a little additional braking.

Any suggestions?

materthegreater

Yes, until it gets to first gear I believe, or maybe until it gets below a certain speed, I'm not sure exactly.

Last edited:

mekanik

I installed an exhaust brake on a DT466 a couple years ago. The dealer charged $400 to have the custom logic written for the body controller. We re-flashed the body controller. The install of the brake and associated parts was simple enough.
The customer felt that for the cost it was not worth the tiny bit of engine braking that resulted.

I installed exhaust brakes on two Cummins 8.3 mechanical engines as well. The Cummins required heavier exhaust valve springs installed. Both customers felt that for the small amount of engine braking it was not worth the cost.

Last edited:

materthegreater

Thanks for the recommendation James. And Mekanik, thanks for the first hand experience, exactly what I was looking for.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I can't say what happens internally. If I understand my transmission is similar to yours except you have an extra gear below mine. In both cases top two gears lock up if within 5% of input shaft speed.
In mine, I come down a very steep hill fully loaded, it rises to 2500 RPM in bottom gear & won't speed above that.

Wednesday Roger called, Did I want some barnyard cleanings. His sin Ben loaded 11 yards of dirt & manure mixed. I'll estimate by tires & springs 9 tons. I made two trips. Bromley road is steep as a calf's face, tractor trailers do not make it.
The truck roars to maybe 3000 RPM then something recognizes how steep & engages. Seems to slow to 2500 RPM not more. I inched down at perhaps 10 MPH without touching the brake.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Does yours have a transmission retarder? Redline on my engine is 2600 rpm.
I bought it from a fire department West Weathersfield. I have no information except it seems to wind out to higher speed as much as 3000 climbing. I've seen figures but may not remember accurately. I feel redline is 3200, peak horsepower is 3000, & peak torque is 1700? If I'm very patient ( paved hill Danby Mountain Road) it's 1800-2000, it'll climb no problem, lowest gear, plenty of torque converter.

The other day, Bromley road falls 400 feet elevation in half mile. It was sort of a surprise to see it rise to 2500 RPM but not speed up beyond.