• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2005 cat953c help

Woodman89

hello I’ve got a 2005 953c quit running on me last week. Just slowly idled down and died like you flipped off the switch. No smoking or anything of that nature. Ran through everything and am getting only 6.5 volts to the fuel solenoid while cranking.

My questions are what should the voltage be to the fuel solenoid and what supplies it and what would keep it from getting supply voltage? Any input appreciated Thank you

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
You could probably use an electrical schematic.
Do you have a 2ZN or BBX-prefix machine.?
If it is 2ZN is the S/N above or below 1750.?
If it is BBX is the S/N up to 599, between 600 & 1999, or over 2000?
Answers to the above identify the correct electrical schematic.

By "fuel solenoid" are you referring to the engine shutdown solenoid mounted on the back side of the governor.?

Woodman89

Bbx between 600-1999
Do you have a link to that or can point me in the right direction?

Fuel solenoid on the pump
Number 1 on the photo attached. IMG_4928.jpeg

Hope this helps

Woodman89

Forgot to mention I replaced the engine side harness thinking it might have been corrosion or wiring due to the harness being in rough shape and it was throwing codes. After replacing the harness the Serv code light/msg went off. The three codes it was showing were 036.262.04 - 036.164.11 - 079.70.03

Thank you nige for helping me with the codes and information. If anybody has any input I would appreciate it thank you

Nige

How long after replacing the engine harness did the problem of it shutting down occur.?

BTW the IAP Control Valve on the back of the HEUI pump works on the basis of a variable current supplied by the engine ECM. There is no information anywhere indicating what voltage might be in that circuit. However from a quick look at the electrical schematic I am pretty sure it will not be machine system voltage.

The Codes, for anybody interested.
036.262.04 - 5v sensor power supply short to ground
036.164.11 - Injection Actuation Pressure system fault. Either the actual injection actuation pressure (IAP) and the desired IAP differ by more than 3 MPa (435 psi) OR the current to the IAP control valve is at either the maximum output or the minimum output for an excessive period of time
079.70.03 - Park Brake switch incorrect inputs.

Woodman89

Yes done all the basics, fuses, switches, etc. since I’ve owned the machine 3 years, the ignition switch buzzer sometimes sounds different when turning key over but checked all that and turned up nothing.

Also, the shutting down of the machine occurred with the old harness. Thought it was faulty wiring/grounding due to the harness being in bad shape so that’s what led us to replace the harness. Still doing the same thing with the new harness.

The codes it was throwing stopped flashing with installing the new harness.

Nige

Yes done all the basics, fuses, switches, etc. since I’ve owned the machine 3 years
Please can you list everything you have done to the fuel supply system starting from the tank.?
I always find it interesting that many people start looking at the most expensive parts of the fuel system as the root of a problem before checking the simple stuff.