• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2009 Caterpillar PM200HP Milling machine

Redhorse1

Please help,

I'm deployed with no tech manuals or ops manuals. Are milling machine just went down...the issue is most of the Hydraulic functions are not working.
- It will go start up and go forward and reverse
- The belt turns, but will not spin the drum.
- After trying to spin the drum it will just shut down on it's own.:Banghead

I was wondering if there was some sort of emergence hydraulic shut. I need some guidance

big ben

Do you mean it stalls out when the drum engauge's ? or just shuts off ? No alarms on the dash ?
So the belt tensioner moves out to tighten the belt and the little warning alarm is going off so people know the drum is about to start then it just shuts down ?

Never heard of this but I would check the switches used to signal when the rear drum door is open (when your changing teeth). Maybe the wiring is damaged and it wont let the drum start when it thinks the rear door is open

Redhorse1

Do you mean it stalls out when the drum engauge's ? or just shuts off ? No alarms on the dash ?
So the belt tensioner moves out to tighten the belt and the little warning alarm is going off so people know the drum is about to start then it just shuts down ?

Never heard of this but I would check the switches used to signal when the rear drum door is open (when your changing teeth). Maybe the wiring is damaged and it wont let the drum start when it thinks the rear door is open

- When you start the equipment the back up siren goes off for a few seconds then goes off. With is still running the front conveyers works, water sys, forward and reverse, also the rpm can go up and down.
- When you switch the drum to engage it does nothing, the tensioner and belt doesn't move, and after a few mins the equipment shuts down. It will stay running if you do not attempt to engage the drum.
- I took the limiting switch to the drum assy off and manually move set the position as if the drum was down and started the equipment. At this point, I was got power to the side rear control panel, the steer and drum up/down moved slightly(where before it did nothing), but I was still unable to start the equipment from the left rear panel. I am completely clueless to what to try....I have no maintenance manuals or schematics.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I looked for schematics. There is nothing on the system for a PM200 of either P1C or P1M Serial Number prefix but there is one for a PM201 of PNM S/N prefix that comes from around the same 2007-ish time frame. From the Cat Performance Handbook the 2 models appear very similar. I would not guarantee they are identical electrically/electronically but because they are almost identical physically and use the same engine model I'd bet the electricals systems are very close. If you want a copy of both Hydraulic & Electrical Schematic you're welcome to them, I just need an email address to send them to.

big ben

Yes that is strange and I have no other help at this point. I will see if I have some schematics somewhere still.

As already discovered it is not in SIS cause it's an Italian Bitelli machine with a C18 and Cat decals

Cat built the PM201 so it is in SIS but its a different beast altogether

No word of a lie this machine has something like 50 relays to control everything as opposed to an ECM.

Drop down the cover below the dash and look for any obvious problems

Last edited:

Nige

As already discovered it is not in SIS cause it's an Italian Bitelli machine with a C18 and Cat decals
The PM200 appears in SIS as regards Parts Identification and Operator Manual but there are no schematics, Test&Adjust, or Troubleshooting.

Do Bitelli still exist as a separate entity and do they have dealers/service outlets..? I have no idea.

Nige

I managed to find an Operator Manual for the PM200 and from that the OP has indicated that: -

1. The low Hydraulic Pressure light is on.
2. The Electrical system disabled light is on.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to troubleshoot these 2 faults..?

Redhorse1

- When you start the equipment the back up siren goes off for a few seconds then goes off. With is still running the front conveyers works, water sys, forward and reverse, also the rpm can go up and down.
- When you switch the drum to engage it does nothing, the tensioner and belt doesn't move, and after a few mins the equipment shuts down. It will stay running if you do not attempt to engage the drum.
- I took the limiting switch to the drum assy off and manually move set the position as if the drum was down and started the equipment. At this point, I was got power to the side rear control panel, the steer and drum up/down moved slightly(where before it did nothing), but I was still unable to start the equipment from the left rear panel. I am completely clueless to what to try....I have no maintenance manuals or schematics.

**** What I know and down. CAT is giving me the run around. They are on working on giving me info, but they can't seem to find manuals for the equipment.
2. The Electrical system disabled light is on
3. F7B 10 amp fuse was blown, I replace it with a 20 amp fuse(it was the best I had) and after sometime I noticed it was pretty warm, took it out and put in back in. ran the engine for a bit. And it fried the connector and the solenoid on a hydraulic block under the long seat panel door you can open up(I have no idea, what it controls).
- F7C 10 amp fuse keeps blowing even with the engine off and after replacing with a 20 amp. this was all before I noticed the smoking solenoid

Does anyone have any suggestions how to troubleshoot. Thanks for the Guidance from Nige and Big Ben. I'm starting to slowly narrow it down, but good schematics, Test&Adjust, or Troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

big ben

The PM200 appears in SIS as regards Parts Identification and Operator Manual but there are no schematics, Test&Adjust, or Troubleshooting.

Do Bitelli still exist as a separate entity and do they have dealers/service outlets..? I have no idea.

No Cat bought out Bitelli around 2000 to get the last piece of the paving equipment they needed - the cold planer. Wirtgen basically has a strangle hold on the cold planer market and Cat needed something that had could compete so they bought Bitelli.

Like most paving equipment it is a different beast in that you need different software to hook up to the machine (other than the engine) and different "ET" connectors. But yes it is all in SIS but in "paving products section".

big ben

**** What I know and down. CAT is giving me the run around. They are on working on giving me info, but they can't seem to find manuals for the equipment.
2. The Electrical system disabled light is on
3. F7B 10 amp fuse was blown, I replace it with a 20 amp fuse(it was the best I had) and after sometime I noticed it was pretty warm, took it out and put in back in. ran the engine for a bit. And it fried the connector and the solenoid on a hydraulic block under the long seat panel door you can open up(I have no idea, what it controls).
- F7C 10 amp fuse keeps blowing even with the engine off and after replacing with a 20 amp. this was all before I noticed the smoking solenoid

Does anyone have any suggestions how to troubleshoot. Thanks for the Guidance from Nige and Big Ben. I'm starting to slowly narrow it down, but good schematics, Test&Adjust, or Troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

OK Cat should not give you the run around. They have ALL the info for this machine. Tell them to use CatPaving.com through SIS.
F7B appears to the drum inspection fuse
F7C is the main on solenoid fuse.
If f7B is melting a connector undo the connector and see what happens. Check the coils resistance. Check the harness close as it sounds like you have some dead shorts going on.
Ill see what I can do about a schematic

Nige

Nicky, thanks for popping in.........

Try sending an HEF mail (or a direct email - the address is in post #7 above) to the OP. It sounds like he's battling .............

Failing that, what's your take on his warning lights and fuse blowing..?

Redhorse1

Nige sent me an email asking if i can help, i have the info for this machine, do you still need anything?

I got the main on solenoid and the diode connector on order. I got a parts manual and CAT, Big ben sent me a schematic, things are looking promising. Thanks for all you help fellas, words can't express my appreciation.