• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2014 Freightliner Grapple Truck

Grappler

Good morning. Quick question. I am running a prentice 2124 Grapple. I have been told it is not supposed to be doing a 360. I was told my swivel valves are bad. Is this true or not? Every video I watch of grapples they can do 360's....
I have a host of hydraulic issues I am starting to trace down and this was one thing I was told from a company. Thanks.

Chris

Plebeian

Are there crane repair places with pressure and flow test rigs and test lift weights etc?
Cranes are often only as good as their design and components allow them to be plus their ongoing maintenance/ careful use etc.

The palfingers have shades and cabs

In the Pac NW they must design and build the Washington cranes fairly strong.
https://olympicindustrialmanufacturing.com/log-loaders

Grappler

Yes there are places to get fixed. We are working on trying to find a reputable mechanic. I have a few videos on it to show the mechanic so that he or she will understand.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Grappler!

Grappler

Yes you are right. I did take it to a mechanic he did look at it and he verified that this truck is allowed to do a 360. I changed all three oil filters today for the hydraulic system. There were no metal flakes when I dumped the filters out. This indicated that my PTO is not damaged. But I'm still having issues with my boom and stick not going up fast enough. We made an appointment for 2 weeks from now. He's going to have to diagnose it and he hinted at maybe some valves that are not opening correctly. Or maybe not enough electrical output from the coils to the valves. So now we are looking at some pretty expensive repairs. Possibly my pump swivel valve. The turret will not go left and right like it should. It barely wants to go left and sometimes it barely wants to go right I have to double function to make certain functions work. I can go right better than I can go left
Thank you for the help so far I will update this thread later.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
You need to find a good hydraulic shop and take it there for this kind of work. When I had my grapple truck, I had quite a few similar problems at first. A good hydraulic shop knew what to look at and what needed repairs. Seems like "good" truck mechanics and heavy equipment mechanics often did not know quite where to start on a complicated hydraulic system, and just acted as parts changers until they solve the problem.
Jeff

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Welcome Grappler!

i enjoy a good grapple as much as the next feller. I look forward to hearing some good grapple stories in the future. Please show us some pictures of your Freightshaker money maker.

What kinds of things do you lift with your grapple way down there in Florida?

Grappler

You need to find a good hydraulic shop and take it there for this kind of work. When I had my grapple truck, I had quite a few similar problems at first. A good hydraulic shop knew what to look at and what needed repairs. Seems like "good" truck mechanics and heavy equipment mechanics often did not know quite where to start on a complicated hydraulic system, and just acted as parts changers until they solve the problem.
Jeff
Yes sir. We did find a hydro shop. Older gentleman with much knowledge. Helping me out hands on, even though he didn't even have to.

Grappler

Welcome Grappler!

i enjoy a good grapple as much as the next feller. I look forward to hearing some good grapple stories in the future. Please show us some pictures of your Freightshaker money maker.

What kinds of things do you lift with your grapple way down there in Florida?

All wood. Logs, brush, stumps, palms, etc. I love the job, when the truck is running efficiently.

Coaldust

Occupation
How about those giant lizards I hear about or the invasive pythons? Ever grapple one of them?

Coaldust

Occupation
My man, FJ Outlaw, did a documentary about Florida. Ever run into him? It seems like Florida is a fairly small state. Everyone knows everyone kind of thing. I’d like to visit some time.

Truck Shop

. Seems like "good" truck mechanics and heavy equipment mechanics often did not know quite where to start on a complicated hydraulic system, and just acted as parts changers until they solve the problem.

I've always said try to do everything and master none. I'm waiting for the thread of {Rebuilt a D11N this
morning and a weed eater this afternoon.

Coaldust

Occupation
For sure, for sure. Especially so, for one-of, custom built, truck mounted gear. Takes a bunch of time to figure out what the builder originally did. Then, who knows what mods and repairs have been done since it was originally built.

Grappler

We see tons of snakes, some poisonous, most not. No pythons, they live in the everglades. Lizards, we have tiny ones up here. I call them geckos, but they are technically lizards. They are cool looking. Especially the males. They have this thing that comes out of their neck to appeal to the ladies. It is called the dewlap.

I like it down here. I'm originally from Rhode Island. Lived in Vermont. Lived in Alaska, twice. Now I'm here. And I'm staying here. Yes it is HOTTTTT and HUMID, but the healthcare is amazing here. Why, and no offense, because of the older generation that lives here.? I just moved here a couple years ago. I do not know this gentleman.