• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2017 Sullair 185 Listening for Engine

SkFarmer

Hello, new to the forum and looking for some assistance with a compressor I purchased at an auction. It was purchased in the state of "Starts and Runs", however getting it home it does neither. The unit itself appears to be in great shape, however.

It is a 2017 Sullair 185 DPQ KU4F. The engine is the Kubota 1.8L

Upon trying to start, when moving the start rocker switch to ON, the startup sequence initiates and immediately flashes "Listening for Engine". Engine warning icon is also on.

I've checked the obvious things. All fuses are good. Relays seem good. And all the connections seem good, at least nothing obviously wrong with them. I have removed and cleaned the ECM ground as well. Battery has been charged and tested. Putting out 12.6V. There are no active codes either.

Does anyone have any further leads to investigate? Thanks in advance

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
So does it crank and not start? Or just go into the controller start sequence and nothing happens?

The "Listening for Engine" would point me to a comms/CANbus issue between the ECU and Sullair controller to start.

SkFarmer

It does not crank at all. Does nothing but flashes the listening for engine .

Going through the wiring diagram and troubleshooting guide I find the termination resistor as a possibility . Any way to diagnose this other than swapnostics?

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Should be a standard CAN Bus with 120ohm resistors on either end. If you have a meter can locate and disconnect each resistor, ohm it out and ohm the CAN Bus harness. There's plenty of general pdfs online that explain the operation and testing. I'd check this first if this controller is trying to wake up and talk to the ECU before it cranks.

Truck Shop

It was fun reading this one-Kubota is used on Carriers Refer units which I worked on hundreds of.
Only one time was there a fault that I found in any CAN Bus/ Harness. Always the first place if had
12 volts to Starter was connections directly at starter or starter it's self. Other wise the system was
almost fool proof.