• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

262B hour meter quit

dmaxpower

I have a 2005 Cat 262B that I just noticed the hour meter quit on. I haven't looked at it yet. I am very good with electrical. Automotive electrical has been my trade for the last 14 years. Can anyone tell me how the hour meter is driven? I assume it is an external hour meter and not a display reading from the ECM? I understand some are switched on with oil pressure, some off the alternator? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fred

Dmax
There are known issues with hour meters on these machines, contact your Dealer for info, something to do with a better design to withstand voltage spikes

cheers

dmaxpower

Well the alternator is toast. I'm waiting for a rebuild shop to get a regulator for it. Cat wants over $700 Canadian for a new one. :eek: I think this might be the problem but I will know for sure on Friday.