• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3412e injector driver failure

jon damon

Nige
I am on the road I tried to respond prior but I think it failed to send.
I purchased a new ECM and as you found the OEM software number for the 990 go version is what cat had listed for that part #.
The failed ECM had program 2214319 installed is this different specs from what it is supposed to be?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
This is a new one for me - I've tried every avenue I can think of and I can't find any reference to a software Part Number 221-4319 anywhere. I'm sorry I have no idea what it is.

However if you have 154-4648 software installed in the replacement ECM take comfort in the fact that's what's supposed to be in it for that specific engine Serial Number and a 131-4016 Arrangement Number.

Last edited:

jon damon

My mistake number was 2219314.
Cat dealership had several issues with proper et connection and format to retrieve stored software and configuration information.
Than the original software file didn't download correctly.
Now they are getting another ECM and starting over.

jon damon

The tech at the dealership mentioned I may have a yellow light on when I go to use the machine in which case they may have to do a timing calibration on the machine.
Does that sound correct?
If that's the case will the machine be running sweated until recalibrated?

Nige

That makes more sense, it's a genuine software number. 221-9314 software is related to Test Specification 0K-2189. This spec is for a 950BHP @ 2100RPM 3412E engine, with 2850 ft.lbs of torque @ 1400RPM. The engine S/N prefix is BDT as opposed to the 4CR of your engine.
Your engine 4CR01048 is Test Spec 2T-8089.

Comparing the two engine arrangements 131-4016 versus 204-1973 despite the fact they share the same BHP & torque they are totally different internally. In fact apart from the cylinder block, rear gear train, and crankshaft they share hardly any common parts.

Last edited:

jon damon

How should I advise the Cat tech.
His plan was to simply reinstall what was on the failed ECM the 950 HP software instead of what should have been there the 990 version.
He claimed the 990 file on sis was corrupted somehow.
Could he have used a disimilar configuration when he went to install the software. Once he attempted to install the original software he got locked out of the first ECM.

Nige

How should I advise the Cat tech.
His plan was to simply reinstall what was on the failed ECM the 950 HP software instead of what should have been there the 990 version.
He claimed the 990 file on sis was corrupted somehow.
Could he have used a disimilar configuration when he went to install the software. Once he attempted to install the original software he got locked out of the first ECM.
Highly unlikely that the file on the Cat network is corrupted IMHO.

If it was mine I would ask for the correct software to be installed that corresponds to both the engine Serial Number and Arrangement Number - that would be 154-4648.
If the tech has downloading issues then he should ask his dealership Technical Communicator to speak to Cat via DSN (Dealer Solution Network) and come up with a fix, even if that fix invloves emailing the software as an attachment (possible - I've done it myself) or placing it in a file folder somewhere where the Dealer TC can access it and copy it on the the laptop that will be used for the flash file upload.

Last edited:

jon damon

Thank you for all your effort I feel very fortunate to have found such a knowledgeable group of people like yourself willing to share their expertise to help each other move forward..
I hope now that I have become a member I can learn how to contribute effectively.

jon damon

I see you sent the timing retrieval instructions.
The tech seemed uncertain as how properly install the original software from my serial number hence his corrupted file comment.
He felt comfortable just exchanging the software out of the old ecm.
My concern now that you brought it up is
If all of the arrangement mechanicals are disimilar am going to have issues.

Nige

I see what he was trying to do - "the short cut".
Retrieve the information from the former ECM and simply upload it to the replacement.
That would have worked if the defective ECM had the correct software for the engine installed in it.
Dig your heels in and make sure they flash the correct software for the engine - I would. Once it was discovered that the software in the ECM was not the correct one for the engine there should be no other option than to upload the correct P/N.
Let's face it you're the customer and you're paying them to do the job right, not do half a job ...........