• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

4 in 1 bucket

dirtybird

Occupation
option trader
Many people say they love the 4 in 1 bucket. I have never used one but what can you do with it that a regular bucket can't get done?

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
I really love a 4 in 1 bucket. The biggest advantage is being able to clamp onto trees and stumps or other odd shaped objects. Another use is picking up the last part of a pile of material, you can "bite" the pile to pick it up and it means less shoveling for your crew. I have also found that when backdragging with the bucket open, it leaves a different finish than dragging with a closed bucket. You also have better control over dozing than if you use a closed bucket. I even used the clamping function to break the bead of an Atv tire, when changing one. The only disadvantages that I can think of are added weight, more hydraulics, and I have never seen a 4 in 1 bucket where the middle didn't bend a little.

dirtybird

Occupation
option trader
Thanks for the info cat420. I have been thinking about the cat 257 and a 4 in one bucket to prep new construction lawn over a small dozer.

I have a 4300 John deere tractor (32 hp) with turf tires, 6 foot box blade, soil pulverizer, landscaping rake, rototiller, fol. My thought is I can put a manual topcon lazer reciever on the 257blade or box blade. If I should need a dozer i can rent a good size one and have it droped and picked up. Sticking with a skid steer lets me transport all my machines with a f-350. What do you think of this equipement package?

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
I've never run a multi terrain loader, like the 257. The only skidsteer that I ran was a Case 75xt, it had more than enough power, but because it was on wheels it was not the best for grading. I have wondered if a machine like the 257 or something comparable on tracks would be better. One of the things that I like about skidsteers is their power to weight ratio, for example the 257 weighs about 7,600lb and is around 60hp, while a Komatsu d21 is about 9,000lb and only 40hp. One of the things that concerns me is traction with 257. Like I said I haven't run one, but the tracks don't look real aggressive, then again looks may be deceiving. I do like the idea of being able to move the equipment yourself, paying $100 each way for delivery gets old fast and you are limited to their schedule. I assume that you aren't planning on digging foundations or anything like that, but mainly landscaping. A tractor with a various attachments and a skidsteer sounds like a good combination for the type of work you plan on doing.
We used a d21 and a landscape rake pulled behind a four wheeler to do our lawn and it looked incredible when we finished. They do make a 6 way blade for skidsteers, but I don't know how easy it would be to use.

woberlin

Occupation
excavating contractor/bodyshop owner
I 2nd everything Cat 420 mentioned. The 4 in 1 bucket will also allow you to load a taller truck than a standard bucket does. Just extend all the way up, get over the truck, and open the bucket, you don't need to allow for tilting the bucket down to empty. This might be something to consider if you plan on loading larger trucks. Many of the smaller buckets do tend to bend in the middle, but the larger ones dont. The 4 in 1 bucket on my Case 850 is 30 years old and still seals good. But it is also a very heavy duty bucket.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I wouldn't consider working without a 4 way bucket!! The versatilty can't be matched I don't think by any other attachment. As mentioned you can clamp on stumps, rocks and any other large item to move it. When cleaning or moving piles of material, I can move all but about 5 shovels full of any pile, it sure cuts down on labor time. I've also used the trick mentioned to load high trucks, plus you can push material across a lower truck to load fully from one side with the 4 way.