• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

410E John Deere

westerveld

Hi guys, I'm pulling apart the outrigger cylinder to replace the seals. I managed to break the one end of the cylinder loose, but I can't seem to spin it off. I'm assuming it's threaded but is there some other way of pulling it apart? Hope I'm making sense here.

Hydralic cylinder.PNG

Delmer

That notched nut threads onto the gland which is held in the cylinder by the wire lock ring. You're spinning the gland with the nut and need to hold the gland to the cylinder. One way is to extend the cylinder, loosen the nut, then retract the cylinder to push the gland into the cylinder (slightly) and remove wire lock ring from the groove in the cylinder.

Oh yeah, the orange ring goes into the groove to keep the seals from catching on the way out, and on the way back in.

Last edited:

AndrewC

Just curious does that have a snap ring on it at all on the outside? I kinda think its like the swing cylinder ones where when you turn the outer nut you have to stop the inner gland from turning by leaning on the rod.

Delmer

Just curious does that have a snap ring on it at all on the outside? I kinda think its like the swing cylinder ones where when you turn the outer nut you have to stop the inner gland from turning by leaning on the rod.

Exactly. No snap ring on the outside, just the wire ring inside the cylinder tube. Don't heat the cylinder tube, if anything warm up the nut itself to help break it free from the threads on the gland and paint holding it tight to the cylinder. You can see in the picture that it has turned about a full turn before the gland started slipping, so it should just be the threads sticking a little.

Correction of above, the orange ring may be just for removal. Installation goes with the "slope" so it might be easier without the ring in the way.

Deon

Delmer is explaining right. But just to put it another way, if the gland is spinning with the nut, you can prevent that by extending the cylinder all the way out so that the piston is pressing tightly against the gland. Another thing to be careful of is that once the retainer ring is removed from inside the cylinder end, the end of the cylinder must be clean extremely well including the ring groove so that the orange filler ring fits in well enough to pull out the piston. If the orange ring is damaged or missing, you can fill the groove with body filler and clean it back out immediately after the piston is removed. I've done it this way 3 or 4 times with great success. After the groove is cleaned out of dirt and rust, I put a little oil in the groove with my finger to prevent the body filler from sticking too tightly to the metal. I have never used the orange ring during reassembly as I find that the seals hook on it and prevents the piston from entering.

Last edited: