• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

416 CAT Backhoe transmission rebuild

Clownaround

Hello, I was wondering has anyone on this forum dropped and rebuilt a 1987 (or similar year) 416 CAT backhoe transmission? Looking for some helpfull insight on what wearable parts to replace while I am in there and also some tips on order of removal.

Thanks!

6T-4974 Transmission
S/N: 5PC00575

ahart

I have sent much of the info you've requested with attachments in a private conversation. Let me know what else you need.

Highlander5360

I have sent much of the info you've requested with attachments in a private conversation. Let me know what else you need.
It's looking like I'm going to be doing the same thing. I lost forward movement on my machine, and inspection of the strainer revealed a bunch of black material that is most likely clutch material. I have yet to run my pressure tests and I will be doing that shortly but if you could send me the info you sent Clownaround, it would be greatly appreciated.

Harry Fox

I have the exact same problem as Clownarond and would like any help available. I am getting ready to pull the transmission. Thanks

MB107

Hello, first post here. Considering purchasing a Cat 416 4WD that needs reverse clutches. My question is how difficult is it to remove the transmission. Will I have to jack the vehicle up? For the moment I'm limited to a 2 ton floor jack.

AllDodge

You need more tools if your going to work on heavy equipment
While a 2 Ton jack won't do a lot to pick up a 20,000 lb hoe, if the hoe does run it can lift it self up. Now after that your going to need a bunch more stuff to pull the trans

MB107

You need more tools if your going to work on heavy equipment
While a 2 Ton jack won't do a lot to pick up a 20,000 lb hoe, if the hoe does run it can lift it self up. Now after that your going to need a bunch more stuff to pull the trans
Thanks The hoe is about 14,000 Lb for a 2WD model. I expect this to be more with 4WD. The hoe does run and can lift itself up but will that be high enough to remove the transmission. I do have 3 and 5 ton jack stands which should be enough to support the weight of the vehicle but as of now no jack I own will lift the entire vehicle. According to a document I down loaded for a 416D which I assume to be different. I need the jack stands and a special tools to support the back of the engine and the transmission onto the transmission jack, both look easy to fabricate. If the model 416 series II model is similar this should be something I could do as long as the vehicle will lift itself high enough to remove the transmission.

1685148363848.png

1685149053403.png

edgephoto

I don't trust jack stands, especially ones from Harbor Freight. I need to pull the real axle out of my 426. I will use the stabilizers to lift it and use cribbing to support it. The money spent on wood is worth it over dealing with a 15,000 lb chuck of steel dropping on you.

Take a look at the design of most jack stands. There is a pawl that engages a tooth on the jack post. That looks strong until you realize the roll pin holding the pawl to the lever is all that is supporting the weight.

@MB107 Where in CT are you?

MB107

I don't trust jack stands, especially ones from Harbor Freight. I need to pull the real axle out of my 426. I will use the stabilizers to lift it and use cribbing to support it. The money spent on wood is worth it over dealing with a 15,000 lb chuck of steel dropping on you.

Take a look at the design of most jack stands. There is a pawl that engages a tooth on the jack post. That looks strong until you realize the roll pin holding the pawl to the lever is all that is supporting the weight.

@MB107 Where in CT are you?
Im in Killingworth. The jack stands I have are 40 year old made in USA

Delmer

A 12 ton bottle jack is cheap compared to the cost of this job. You might not need 12 ton, but the bigger the jack, the bigger the base and the more stable. A 20 is easy to find also. Get enough 4x4" or 6" blocks to support it, if you leave the tires on, it's not much to support. You get in trouble taking the wheels off vehicles and getting pinned under, there should be room to leave the wheels on this, right?

The weight of the transmission can be taken by lowering it with straps if you can get access through the cab, or rigging up a pallet jack with blocking, lots of possible ways to do it safely.

Tinkerer

If the tractor runs and the hydraulics work you don't need a jack to raise the tractor.
Roll the front bucket until the cutting edge points straight down and you should be able to get all the height you need to block the tractor up along with using the stabilizers.
If you can afford it--- buy a transmission jack from Harbor Freight.
The safety it provides for what you are doing is priceless.