• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

5.2k vs 6k axle

Joe Mahlik

I usually hang out in the skid steer section but now I have a question regarding the trailer I recently purchased to haul my 1835c skid steer. I've read many threads on many different forums on the differences between 5.2k and 6k axels and I have yet to come across a clear concise answer so I'm hoping someone here can clarify for me. I've recently purchased a 1997 Holt Trailers 18ft car hauler. This trailer has 12" 6 lug hubs, with 15in wheels, two 6k axles(per the tags on the axles) and brakes on all 4 wheels. Axels have #42 spindles which when I search the web it's says #42 spindles and are used on 5.2k to 7k axles, along with the size wheel bearings I have. The trailer has 6" C channel for main frame and toungue. Crossmembers are 3" C channel on 16" centers. Springs are 2" 5 leaf springs 25" center to center of eyes which I see is a common size on 5.2 to 7k axels. All that said... the trailer had no data tag so I contacted Holt Trailer and gave them the vin and they confirmed that my trailer left manufacturing with 5.2k axels. My question...what kept Holt from rating this as a 12k trailer. Between the 6k axels and all the axle hardware/components being compatible with 5.2 to 7k axels, can I use this trailer as a 12k trailer? The construction of the trailer also mirrors that of most 14k trailers I see, less the 6 lug hubs. Is there a very good reason Holt didn't rate this trailer for 12k? Am I missing something? The axels are original BTW as the dates on the axel tags very closely match the manufacture date of the trailer. Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I'd have to say your local DOT is the final authority on what you can haul on that trailer.

In my neck of the woods, if you want to upgrade a trailers hauling ability, you need to present engineering documentation to the DOT, and have it inspected and uprated in hauling capacity by a competent inspector.

Get all your paperwork in order for the registration, because you sure don't want to find out after an accident that your insurance was void, because what you were carrying, and what you were registered to carry, were vastly different.

Joe Mahlik

Good point on the legal side of it. I'm mainly trying to get down to the physical/mechanical differences, if any, between a trailer rated at 12k and 10.4k when they both have axels rated at 6k. The purpose of figuring this out is that I would like to start hauling an 8000lb skid steer. This would be borderline overloading a trailer rated at 10.4k but a 12k trailer would be perfect. Legalities aside, I don't want to create an unsafe condition for me, or other people.

gwhammy

Take two trailers rated the same from different companies and one will be crap and the other way overbuilt. I like a heavy trailer for skid steers the weight is so concentrated basically on the rear set of tires.

PeterG

Occupation
Landscape Construction, General Contractor
Over 10,000 GVW you need a class A CDL commercial license. I have an old hertz equipment rental trailer built by Best Trailers. It has 7000 lb axles and is basically a 14 GVW trailer. However, the vin plate list it as 9,900 lbs and its surge brakes. That way anyone could rent it and tow it, and if it was overloaded, it was likely safe. Not that many 12 gvw trailers. Yours might have been a 10,000 gvw trailer, overbuilt a bit. The trailer may have an empty weight of 2,500 so legally you can tow 7,500 lbs or so, if your tow vehicle can tow that much. I would assume it's not more than a 12 GVW trailer. What is the weight each tire can hold as stamped on the tire?

cfherrman

Over 10,000 GVW you need a class A CDL commercial license. I have an old hertz equipment rental trailer built by Best Trailers. It has 7000 lb axles and is basically a 14 GVW trailer. However, the vin plate list it as 9,900 lbs and its surge brakes. That way anyone could rent it and tow it, and if it was overloaded, it was likely safe. Not that many 12 gvw trailers. Yours might have been a 10,000 gvw trailer, overbuilt a bit. The trailer may have an empty weight of 2,500 so legally you can tow 7,500 lbs or so, if your tow vehicle can tow that much. I would assume it's not more than a 12 GVW trailer. What is the weight each tire can hold as stamped on the tire?

Not true, if you are under 26k you do not need and CDL at all.

Basically 3/4 ton pickup and you can pull anything.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I agree with OzDozer, your DOT will be the agency you have to satisfy. Manufacturers rate their trailers in different manners, some list the total weight that can be on the trailer while some take into account the tongue weight as part of the total capacity. It can get confusing.

PeterG

Occupation
Landscape Construction, General Contractor
From the FMSCA web site. Of course there is the argument of not having a DOT number and not really driving for Commercially purposes despite insurance companies requiring you to have commercial insurance such as for a vehicle over a certain GVW weight. Not much may apply to a Farmer. I'm not familiar with Class A motorhomes etc..

Classes of License and Commercial Learner's Permits (CLP)​

Pursuant to Federal standards, States issue CDLs and CLPs to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A*: Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater.

Class B*: Any single vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight that does not exceed 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

Tyler d4c

This is state dependent on the class A bit in pa you can pull a trailer over 10000 with a regular license as long as your combo weight is under 26000 but the truck needs a combination tag to pull a trailer over 9999

But reading the bit you post off the feds makes it conflicting

I got a A it makes no difference to me personally

cfherrman

This is state dependent on the class A bit in pa you can pull a trailer over 10000 with a regular license as long as your combo weight is under 26000 but the truck needs a combination tag to pull a trailer over 9999

But reading the bit you post off the feds makes it conflicting

I got a A it makes no difference to me personally

100%

So a 3/4 ton pickup can pull anything

gwhammy

It's the combination of gvw of the truck and trailer. Say your f250 is rated at 10,000 gvw. You can pull a trailer rated at 16,000 but not one at 18,000 without a commercial license. Unless you are a farmer then you can pull a barn down the road sideways and they will let it slide in Mo.