• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

61’ AC HD6 Move

Long0

Charter Member
Occupation
Project Manager
i posted this thread a couple weeks ago about my grandfathers tractor.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/53’-or-so-hd6.94724/

On Sunday we moved the parts tractor to my cousins place. It runs good, just didn’t need 2 tractors in the yard anymore.
250 miles round trip. One nasty pass right at the beginning. 6 miles with about 4K elevation. Long day. 5608C408-ADA0-4615-866B-A4434E057E29.jpegD48670AF-2377-4600-A0A5-D43EEDBB1C52.jpegAE50C514-A2EE-47BD-87B0-3C8E92DE94D5.jpeg

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
If you’re on the Coromandel, did you get any of the severe rain they had in Auckland?
Hell im amazed that news made it to the top end of the world.
Yes we got all that rain; rain comes in from the east and we get it before them. Coromandel is about 30 miles as the crow flys from auckland across a sea gulf.
It alot of photos on news of the 2 main roads closed with massive dropouts were i am; currently has a state of emergency here.
Stupid thing is this is our summer here, and we have had a winters worth of rain in a week. 500mm Ground is saturated.
Pic 'from my office' high up on main range, looking accross the gulf. Auckland is in furthrest distance to the right. View from the cockpit.jpg

56wrench

I’ve driven around part of the Coromandel. I’ve got friends on the north island, one in Auckland and the rest down near New Plymouth, inland from Waitara

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That HD-6 parked behind the red pickup truck looks like it has the Buda engine in it. I used to operate one just like that, had a horizontal drill rig mounted on the side of it. I finished a job installing horizontal drains in a coal slag pit in Grundy VA, the access road for the trip back to where I could load the rig on a lowboy was about 2 miles and full of turns. As I started the trip out the right steer clutch lever let go, couldn't disengage the right steer clutch. To make a right turn I had to disengage the drive clutch, pull the left steer clutch, set the brake and back up. Took a while to make that trip out.

HD-6 Williamstown.jpg

petepilot

That HD-6 parked behind the red pickup truck looks like it has the Buda engine in it. I used to operate one just like that, had a horizontal drill rig mounted on the side of it. I finished a job installing horizontal drains in a coal slag pit in Grundy VA, the access road for the trip back to where I could load the rig on a lowboy was about 2 miles and full of turns. As I started the trip out the right steer clutch lever let go, couldn't disengage the right steer clutch. To make a right turn I had to disengage the drive clutch, pull the left steer clutch, set the brake and back up. Took a while to make that trip out.

View attachment 279345
first track loader i bought was a 6g with a 4 cyl. buda. that was a long time ago

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
really did that was a good old machine. i did some dirt moving & tree pushing with it that most would not believe

When I first got behind that engine on that drill it had a straight pipe exhaust, good gawd awmighty that summbitch was loud when I was grinding on a rock with a lot of drill feed pressure. I fitted a straight through muffler coming out of the turbo, can be seen in this pic in Monongahela PA. That old Buda had a tone then, she would sing under load.

HD-6 Monongahela PA.jpg