• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

621 open bowl Scraper blown engine

mkosior2988

Hello there,

At the location we are at we have a 621 scraper with a suspected blown engine. It has been deemed that it’s a loss cause of a vehicle and we are just trying to move it from once location to another; however, they supposedly cannot get any power to the equipment to unlock the brakes.

We’re trying to figure out a way to be able to unlock the brakes or are we going to have to take it apart and get a crane involved.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 8350BDB5-B276-411A-95D3-D69DD9690ED0.jpeg
    8350BDB5-B276-411A-95D3-D69DD9690ED0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I don’t believe a 621K has air brakes.
Just an idea, have you checked to see if the operators manual is in a pouch behind the operators seal or under it? I know every Cat machine I worked on from back in the 1970's had them from the factory. If we were caught running a machine without the operators manual in it we would be in big trouble from management and MSHA!

I only have access to parts information on SIS but can see that the 621K has the multi-disk wet brakes like other Cat equipment, and they are used as service and parking brakes. Parking would be spring applied and service would be most likely applied by oil pressure from and accumulator.

I'm only guessing that there may be a tool of some kind that would be used to manually release the brakes by compressing the springs. Just a word of caution if you find out how to release the brakes you will have no way to stop the machine.

If you don't know how to move this machine you should leave it to someone who does!

Also if the bowel is down moving it might also be a problem.

ahart

I understand, we’ve got a fleet of B models, F models, a couple Gs and 4 Ks, At least with the hydraulic brakes on the 627K scrapers, you can actually use the brakes. Most of the air brakes are semi functional at best.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I understand, we’ve got a fleet of B models, F models, a couple Gs and 4 Ks, At least with the hydraulic brakes on the 627K scrapers, you can actually use the brakes. Most of the air brakes are semi functional at best.
That pales into insignificance on the older models if you lost a steering pump when that quill drive broke....
Under those circumstances dropping the Big Yellow Brake was pretty much all the operator had left.

JD955SC

Growing up around old junk with my Dad I didn’t know construction equipment had brakes from the factory I thought you just dropped the blade for everything slowing and stopping wise lol

Pops52

Occupation
Worn out lowbed driver "retired"
Growing up around old junk with my Dad I didn’t know construction equipment had brakes from the factory I thought you just dropped the blade for everything slowing and stopping wise lol
I used to move an outfits Wabco 222s. One had zero brakes and the throttle stuck low at 1000 rpms. It was a joy and exciting to load on the lowbed....