• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

63W 773B hoist cylinder removal

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Removing a hoist cylinder, needs resealing.

Upper mount near fell appart.

Lower mounts usually fall apart but this one is stuck on good.

Book calls for 3 jaw puller and a 2 other bit's that aren't available. So I made a plate up with three holes to essentially grip the cylinder from behind with nuts on bolts and pull the cylinder off the bearing that way. Used a large 3 jaw puller pulling the plate against the bit attached to the machine. Cylinder doesn't look close to moving.

Upgraded to a 'smallish' cylinder, maybe 20 ton, applied heat, flogged it with a sledge hammer, the pulling force bent the plate and stretched the bolts.

Going out there tomorrow with longer and higher tensile bolts and a 30 ton cylinder. Any bigger cylinder and I don't think I'll get it in there.

Anyone else had this trouble? The "three jaw puller" suggests the interference fit between bearing and cylinder shouldn't be that tight.

Didn't take any pictures while out there but this is what I'm talking about...

1701333527098.png

1701333768723.png

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
The truck has probably worked in everything over the decades. Possibly a lime quarry also which could explain things.

LSV2403

Tried the recommended three jaw puller, but no luck. Ended up rigging a custom tool, bumped up to a 30-ton cylinder, used longer and tougher bolts, and threw in some heat.

Just a tip, take it easy on the sledgehammer – I learned the hard way. Took some patience, but eventually got the cylinder moving.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
TBH I haven’t seen a 63W working since probably well before the turn of the last century. I thought they were all dead by now
Believe me these machines recieve the bare minimum of TLC, just enough to keep the wheels turning and nothing else. I'm surprised it's still going too.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Found the problem. The bearing had cocked sideways and had been rusting itself into that position since last century. Got it to move with the bigger cylinder then it jammed up again half way out. In the end I took cover and with enough force she came out with an almighty bang and a few sparks. Definately not ideal. Feel these pictures belong on a safety noticeboard somewhere.

1701413088162.png 1701413340971.png