• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

760 pump drive box modification

maartensgrader

I have a 1979 Champ 760, has anyone out there pitched the hydraulic pump drive box and done something like extend the drive shaft off the crank and direct drive a single pump. I assume there would have to be some sort of priority flow divider involved since the one pump is replacing two separate ones. Also interested in swapping the manual tyranny for a power shift. Any ideas?

Silveroddo

Did your drive box go out or are you just trying to simplify? The newer ones ditched the drive box and drove a pump directly like your talking about, but I'm thinking the power steering pump might be driven off of the motor? Don't quote me, I've never looked at the entire set up.
Maybe you could get a "stacked" pump (2 pumps in line in the same housing) and run it directly off of the crank?
I've got a 720 about that vintage that had a gear box failure prior to my ownership, the previous owner got a 3 way pto gearbox and ran it off the crank to drive the 2 separate pumps. Looks ugly but its worked pretty well for the 10 years I've owned it.

Welder Dave

A chain drive might be another option. If I ran a chain I'd use a size with the same pitch as a HD motorcycle chain. Then I'd use a HD O-ring chain that wouldn't require oiling as often. You can get chain wax and other chain lube that doesn't fling off.