• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

8000 series autocrane

mljohn

I am looking into replacing the corded remote with a wireless system on my autocrane.So far i am leaning to the Kar-tech brand. They look identical to the oem autocrane. Any pros or cons or experiences with them?

mljohn

Mitch504 is your control valve on the wrecker manual or electric? I converted a rollback a while back and had to use pull of solenoids,brackets and a bunch of linkage wich did not seem to last verry long. But with just a couple of functions on a electric valve body on a wrecker should not be to pricy.It gets pricy when proportional controls and more than 4 functions get involved in the mix.

JDOFMEMI

One thing I heard recently but have no experience with is that someone with experience building R/C cars could have the connections to build a remote for a lot less money than one bought off the shelf.

On the Autocrane, I had one with the wireless remote and it was handy, when it worked, but mine had issues that made me wish for one with a cord.

mitch504

This is a big rollback, right now it has manual spool valves. What I've been thinking about doing is adding an electric section just to run the winch, maybe with a manual diverter valve to keep the manual section for a backup. I thought about doing the pull solenoid thing but it seemed like it might have reliability issues. It would be nice to convert the whole thing, but not necessary. I probably wouldn't mess with it at all except this thing has a 20,000lb winch w/ no freewheel.

Dualie

for the rollback winch all you need is a push pull solenoid to move the lever in and out. the ones i have been around were the lodar brand and the worked fairly well most of the time.

still learn'n

I am interested to in this we bought a service truck that the cat dealer in joplin had and it went thru the tornado and they took the remote equipment off the crane! My IMT dealer said it wuz $3000 for corded remote and $5000 for a wireless remote! I have done some research on the net and come up with American Crane in Iowa but so far they haven't replied to emails!
Jerry

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
i have converted one on a maintainer to hetronics. worked great. i think it was $1700 for remote and receiver. my local dealer sent me a wiring sheet with it took about 4 hours to mount and wire it correctly. the hetronic came on one of my other service trucks new from the factory so i went back to that on the next service truck. i hate corded remotes they are always hanging up on stuff to short and a huge tripping hazard, there is already too many of those in our line of work........................theironoracle