• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

815B Accident

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
One of our operators had an accident about a month back. Thought I would share the headache with everyone.

FD723574-376F-4218-A8E7-C54F213394D6.jpeg8C71463B-4CC1-47D6-B42A-081944BFA96F.jpegED365FC2-81B7-4A66-8559-0EEF1A2E1211.jpeg2E646E6A-B5D7-4D12-B9A8-1BF80CADA0C7.jpeg

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
The story behind this one is pretty bad as far as “WTF” moments go. The operator had been running a haul truck on a small fill where he would haul to the fill placing his loads to get knocked down and then later switch over to the 815 and pack it all once the lift was ready. In this instance he drove to the 815 in the truck he’s been hauling with swapped over to the 815 and then promptly backed into the same truck. We cannot see any way around him having been distracted by a phone or something else to have taken his mind so far off task that he’d hit the same machine he was just running not 5 min before hand. In the end we’ll never know I suppose.

We’ve gotten her back together but I tell you it was a task to hunt down all the parts. They’re getting to be nonexistent anymore. Most of the machines have been melted down at this point and new parts from Cat are obscene. I got lucky sourcing some parts from Costex and Regal but some were just not offered by anyone but cat. Example, the air filter housing had to come from Cat. No one has one any where. Had 3 online orders canceled on me after checking that they had the part in stock. What a fiasco… luckily no one was hurt but it gives me the chills thinking of the what if…