• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

830E Komatsu Trucks Service

fmatemberere

Occupation
Diesel Fitter
Hello everyone, can I please ask about 830E Komatsu Trucks.
These trucks have Cummins Engines MCRS. It seems Cummins or Komatsu recommends on 1000 and 3000hr services.Is this healthy for these engines considering the dusty environment they operate in. Most OEM recommend 250, 500 and 1000hr services. I am not very sure if it is OEM recommendation on these 830E Komatsu Machines or it is the Owner Operator recommendation.

Please help on what is the best service interval for these machines.

Thank you.

Welder Dave

Most manuals say to do more frequent servicing in adverse or dusty conditions. 3000 hours is exceptionally long but not sure what service that entails. 1000 hours seems too long for reg. servicing but oil sampling might be a good way to monitor the different fluids. Obviously air cleaners should be checked often, especially in dusty conditions. Changing oil more often is much cheaper than rebuilding an engine because the oil wasn't changed often enough.

ChuckRock

If you have a machine S/N and Engine S/N I would be happy to look into specifics. I know big K is working towards pushing their first maintenance to 1000 hours, I believe Caterpillar is targeting, if not achieving, the same for the construction products - Mining may be a different story especially considering the idle time that comes with these haul trucks.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
With the 830E being a dedicated mining truck (too big for anything else) then Hell will freeze over before customers extend maintenance intervals to 1000 hours IMHO.

Both Cat and The Dark Side can say what they like about recommended maintenance intervals but the truth of the matter is that you need eyes on the machine on a frequent basis to prevent small issues becoming big ones. 250 hours is about every 2 weeks in a 24/7 operation (our trucks averaged about 7k hours/year), and 250 hours is about the frequency that the machine should have a complete wash and someone looking over it. How much in the way of oil/filter changes gets done at 250 is another matter, but either way the truck needs to be in the shop.
Mining may be a different story especially considering the idle time that comes with these haul trucks.
If a truck of this size spends more than 10% of the clocked hours idling I'd be very surprised - except in the Oil Sands of course where if you stop them in winter outside the shop then there is very little chance you'll ever get the engine started again until summer.

ChuckRock

Nige is right on the money here. I looked at both shades of yellow for common sized trucks and engine oil and filter change are 250 hours for an 830E and 793. I'd be happy to share the doc if you need.