• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

850 b case PTO

mpatterson557

I have a case 850 B. On the back there is a splined shaft that protrudes from the back of the tranny. About dead center of the input shaft. Is this a pto? Can one be hooked up and what is involved>? Or should I go with a Hydrolic PTO?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF!
Yes, that shaft is called a PTO - it usually is used to power a winch. It turns with the driveshaft.
What is it that you want to power?

mpatterson557

mower, augers ect. I ripped a do it ripper off of the back. Am rebuilding attachment so that can never happen again. as I am doing this I am also building a three point hitch attachment and a backhoe arm(hopefully something like a 710 extend-a-hoe arm) as well. So the PTO would come in handy when using the three pt hitch. I noticed the shaft sometimes is spinning and some times not. I was watching when someone else was driving it. So how do I engage it? Is it off of the forward neutral reverse? Is it a reversible PTO?

alrman

Occupation
Like I said above - it turns with the driveshaft - it cannot be turned on or off. When the transmission is in gear & in full stall (brakes on or in a heap of dirt) driveshaft stops spinning & so does the PTO. In neutral with engine running, driveshaft spins & so the PTO.
As to reversible? I've never noticed - but I would think it would turn the same direction fwd or rev. Maybe you are the best to see if that is correct by looking at your own while someone is on it.
You are probably best utilizing the ripper hydraulics for your attatchments.

mpatterson557

ok and where do i tap into the hydraulic system? Is this a open center or closed center and what is the difference? I would like to add a full flow to run an auger head, or can I do this off of the up Down ram circuit on the ripper? Still would like to know where to tap for accessories.

Randy88

If your going to tap into the hydraulics you'll need a power beyond valve and tap into the lines by the valves now to power it, the pto was supposed to be to power a winch or backhoe attachment, you put a pump right on the pto and ran it that way, while the machine was in gear or in neutral the pto ran, only one direction at all times not reversible. If your running something continuous then go with a pto pump like for a backhoe attachment but if its to run a cylinder or something like that just put a valve on it and tap into your lines to power the valve to add extra valves on your dozer, to run a hydraulic motor and to reverse that its no different than any other valve just push the lever the other way, with a pto pump you'll need a valve installed off of that as well so either way your putting on another valve. The winch and backhoe had valve bodies installed right on them as a unit along with a pto pump and you plumbed into the return line under your tank and also into the supply line under the tank to get oil to feed the pump, some even had their own tanks build into the system and all you did was hook up the pump, seen them both ways over the years

The current system on that dozer should be open center system hydraulics, can't recall off hand what the volume is maybe around 20 gpm and 2500 psi but don't quote me on that for sure, just what I was recalling from memory.

alrman

Occupation
Don't want to confuse things here but an 850B has a closed centre system.
Spec book says pump is good for 30GPM @ 2000RPM.

mpatterson557

Do any of you know if the hydraulic cooler in the front is pressure or just flow. Contacted Case, our local dealer Falcon Power knows only how to swipe a credit card. They don't know and told me that the cooler was no longer made. got one from a JD310se but I think it is just return flow cooling. Don't want to blow it up if I don't have to.... Intereasting, when I bought her she would overheat after 2 hours of work, then I took off the shroud and washed about 100 lbs of dirt out of the fins of the radiator, and low and behold I had a hydraulic loop sitting under the radiator that had been bypassed. arrgh I wish people would repair things correctly or now at all.

alrman

Occupation
It's regulated as it leaves the convertor at 25-65psi then flows to cooler & back to transmission. I've never actually tested pressure at cooler - but I would not think there would be much in it.