• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

8V92TA Running Hot

Huffa

The 8V92TA in our truck has gradually started running hotter and hotter. The big Horton fan rarely came on but now it comes on driving down a flat road if the truck is loaded. I have had the radiator out, cleaned and rodded twice, thermostats checked and or replaced, new water pump kit too. This has been slowly getting worse over the last few years but it really needs to be sorted before this summer. Running empty is not a problem but with a load and especially on a hot day the poor old fan is cutting in and out regularly. I had to rebuild the Horton last summer. Two temp gauges are working correctly. The engine hasn't had a top tune for a fair while and it had the turbo replaced a few years back that was leaking oil past the seal. With that in mind if it sucked oil for a while I assume that the after cooler will be caked up and need to be removed and cleaned which is my next step. Question is could the after cooler being caked up if it is actually cause the overheating? It doesn't use any water or bubble. Any ideas appreciated

Vetech63

Since this a truck application it's going to be a bit different set-up than what I would normally see. Is your fan capable of running in a manual mode........where it will stay on fulltime by a dash switch? If so.........does it still overheat when engaged? Airflow could make some difference, but it would affect compression also. Does it run normally when overheating? Have you checked condition of the fan blades and belts? Since Detroit's have a quick wind up, slipping belts is a common problem. I believe a throttle delay cylinder is pretty normal for truck applications and the wind up may not be an issue if your engine is equipped with that option. Also, if possible, check the engine exhaust for heavy black smoke under a load. Over fueling will cause heat also.

mekanik

The aftercooler is quite small and prone to plugging and restricting the air flow.
It also does not make much difference in power when its working right.
We used to take them out and plug the coolant passages that fed the aftercooler.
The throttle delay cylinder was usually removed the first time the valve covers were off.
If the aftercooler is still in there and plugged you should have lost some power and see an
increase in black smoke.

Huffa

Thanks for that. There is nothing in front of the radiator and nothing has changed on the truck over the years from when it would run a normal temperature. So the question still remains can a clogged after cooler affect the water temperature?

Huffa

Oh yip so if the heads or a head was cracked could it cause overheating without using water?

Huffa

So it gad a brand new genuine water pump kit/impeller go into it - no difference . No shrouds have come or gone