• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

8V92TA Running Hot

cfherrman

When I had the 671 in my and you were pulling heavy, it would really sound nice. Of course the English at the front of the truck and I'm at the back.

Detroit's have a high pitched whine in them that is in addition to the diesel noise that every other fixed timing engine has, and that whine really gets to the ears even when you can't hear it. A lot of Detroits also don't have a turbo, and that makes a huge difference in noise as well.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
I once worked on a tug boat that had a pair of 3,600 HP V-16 Nohab engines and 2 8V71's powering the 150 KW gen sets. The Nohab's were so loud that you had to either look at the control panel or place your hand above the 8V to check for heat to see which engine was on-line.

Huffa

When I had the 671 in my and you were pulling heavy, it would really sound nice. Of course the English at the front of the truck and I'm at the back.

Detroit's have a high pitched whine in them that is in addition to the diesel noise that every other fixed timing engine has, and that whine really gets to the ears even when you can't hear it. A lot of Detroits also don't have a turbo, and that makes a huge difference in noise as well.
One of my life's goals is to fit a 671 to the front of one of our TS14's, I see it's quite common in America but nobody seems to do it here, I reckon it would make a huge difference and be great when pulling power with the hydraulics and a full can

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Back in the 70's I spent a lot of time keeping a fleet of TS 24's running. Good machines. 12V71 Turbo in front with an inline 6-71 turbo in the rear. They were push loaded with a D9.
I remember a fleet of TS-24s on a coal mine reinstatement job in South Wales back in the late 70s. I need to see if I can find some photos.

Huffa

So mechanic pulled the after cooler, I haven't seen it but apparently not that bad, so now we're this far do we pull heads? Is it ever even possible for crud to block water galleries in the heads and or block? If so is there anyway to reverse flush the system?

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
One way to find out. Its out so block the coolant passages that feed it and put the engine back together and see if it helped.
I've done this in the past with a truck when the cooler burst a seam and another couldn't be acquired fast enough. Only detriment was an increase in exhaust temperature which was easily compensated for by an easier application of throttle, and a slight alteration of the driving style. No long term effects when the replacement cooler arrived and was installed.

That's been over 20 years ago and the truck was still around till last fall when sold off. Not many grain haulers around here running straight trucks any longer.