• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955-12A Clutch problem

rditz

folks,

I am also having clutch problems. Mine is bound and I also cannot get into gear.

I have taken the inspection cover off as well as the clutch cover. this gave me a lot more visibility to what was wrong.

first thing I noticed was that the clutch lever was bent and upon further inspection saw that the joint was severly cracked. I have attached a doc that i have circled what i think I need.

second thing i found was that one of the 4 spring loaded studs that the pressure plate rides on was broken off and the spring was broken and jammed. I have attached a doc, again circling what i think i need.

Finally, the clutch support assembly has a crack in it near where the clutch rod connects to the lever to work the clutch, I am assuming from extreme pressure from operators past trying to get the clutch to work.

Couple of questions... how readily available are the parts for these clutches?? can I still order through Cat?? I also assume that If i replace the springs and pins, i should do all 4 in order to have the same resistance/spring rate or tension all the way around. can the clutch support assemble be welded?? or do I have to have it specially welded??

thoughts/comments are appreciated...

eitherway, i guess this clutch is coming out.

rod

tctractors

RD is the Clutch Unit an Oil/Wet housing, as the Doc I don't see ???, if it is a good Tip is to remove the Oil pump off the Case before you remove or refit the Clutch Case, as the Gear breaks the Oil Pump Shaft easly when you are getting things back together, I always Dropped the Clutch/Case down to the ground on Sites after getting a bit of height from a Baulk of Timber or Rail Sleeper under the Tracks, when you have the Clutch and Case clear of the engine fasten some Wire across the C/Line of the Clutch to Keep things from falling out.

tctractors

rditz

clutch problem

the clutch is a wet clutch. although the service manual doesn't specifically say to remove the pump, I was going to do so for the weight. I am probably going to be doing this on my own, so it will have to be manageable..

do uou know if the clutch suppotr assembly can be welded by arc or mig?? there is a crack in it and it has got to be fixed before i put it back in, or i think i will find myself back in here again.

thanks for the reply.

rod

tctractors

Rd, I would use Arc Weld, its just my own preference plus its easier to speck a few W/Rods rather than a Reel of Wire, now I think of it I best check on the clutch strip out thing, I might have some pic's somewhere to help, as now I think you Build up the Clutch on the Flywheel then ad on the outer Case, if the Oil Pump is Left in the Case it easily damages/snaps off the Pump Drive Shaft, the Clutch Case holds only a Moderate amount of E/Oil, plus there is a Strainer Filter below the pump, I would Love to do the job for you as I always Loved sorting Clutches, the common one I used to do was on the D6C 46J tractors, so if your Backs Playing you up I will pop over and save you some pain now the Planes are Flying again.

Best of Luck and watch your Knuckles

tctractors

rditz

offer to help

Tctractors,

I would love to hand the reigns over to a veteran... i doubt though, that you will be i the neighbourhood... but if you, come on by, there is always cold beer in the fridge.

I appreciate the offer and would really benfit from working with someone that knows their way around these old girls.. I am learning as i go and hopefully have a well running machine to do the work my wife has planned for us.

any information that you have on the strip out, would be greatly appreciated..

thanks

rod

rditz

Tctractors,

I have started the disassembly of the clutch as per the service manual. is there a trick on getting the coupler (from the brake drum to the transmission shaft) off? i have removed the bolts, but I cannot get it to separate.

also, can you tell me how much the clutch assembly weighs? I need to rig up suitable bracing so that i can hoist the unit out of the clutch compartment and high enough that it will clear the sides of the driver compartment. I want to make sure i have it strong enough.

thanks

rod

tctractors

Rd, I take it you are talking about the Drive Coupling with 2 Bolts through each cap, these are often joined together by a thin strip of wire from 1 cap to another, sometimes its best to break the wire off and remove a cap at a time from just the 1 joint, this will allow you to get the coupling out easier, as for the Weight of the components, my guess would be about 250lbs would be a safe shot, I did say I always poped the Clutch out on Loading Shovels downwards, I tend to think this saved a good bit of work rather than getting them out from the top, anyhow keep things Safe, dont use bits of rope when a Chain or Sling is the way to go:);).

tctractors