• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

980GII or 980H Rebuild

LoaderMonkey

How many hours are you guys getting on your 980's before a rebuild? Load-out application. I'm wondering if I can push it another year or if I need to hit it this winter.

paulbinso

24000 - 28000 hrs. is good time to do a Certified Powertrain Rebuild. But, I would definately look at oil samples to help determine this.

LonestarCobra

17,000-20,000 hours is the normal amount of hours we get on them before needing a rebuild. We always do the engine, tranny, diffs, finals, and brakes.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
i have ran a 34000 hr 980f.
they run for ever.
rebuild it.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
From what I've seen going over 15,000 hours starts making the repair costs shoot up significantly. I've seen 20,000 hour rebuilt engines that cost more than buying a new one.

I think LonestarCobra is pretty well on.

komatsukid

Occupation
loader operator/plant forman
Does Cat still recommend doing a main bearing roll around 14000 hours?