• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Back at the BK to SB renovation.

This was something we haven't seen in QSR construction - the drive thru lane was poured even with the inside finish floor. The original designers spec'd a 6" curb above the drive thru lane that was even with the FF with fake stone stacked above. Needless to say that created a direct funnel of rainwater into the wall cavity. There was extensive rebuilding of the exterior walls.

SB has one type of drive thru serving window unit and said unit would not work since the existing drive thru was level with the FF. So we were tasked with moving the existing grate inlet to the other side of the drive thru lane in order to lower the existing drive thru 6" to get it below the existing FF.

That's a lot of background for a rather simple job.

Removed existing poured in place top with 24x24 frame in grate intact which we used later.

IMG_4192.jpeg

Saw cut enough of the existing inlet in order to insert a piece of 15" A2000 PVC and grout it in the existing RCP. Since it was so shallow we poured a concrete bottom and built a new CMU and brick inlet box. Not the prettiest but turned out ok.

IMG_4200.jpeg

Recycled existing top in place ready for new curb and gutter.

IMG_4207.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I haven't been on in quite some time, but decided to check in and read this.

We have quite a bit of difference in the use of GPS than most of you, as almost all we do is stream restoration. We do not have to do any take-offs as the designers provide us with a surface, and our RFPs include quantities for most items. Some are tremendously complex including pictures and orientation of logs used in wood structures, riffle, glide, and pool grading, and floodplain grading. Some include just simple linework and surfaces. We often require different layers for each component as there gets to be too much information on one screen, primarily linework.

With the help of our Sitech representative we have been able to learn how to import files in xml, csv for control points, and dwg. We use TBC to export to GCS 900, and it is good to be able to export layers individually as necessary. We have CB 460 on a D6T, 345D, and 320D. A couple of months ago we purchased a next Gen 330 which comes with 2D capabilities and purchased the 3D portion from Trimble. It cost $7500 to unlock the computer in the 330 in order to be able to use 3D. I believe Trimble offers an "Advanced" version for better function of the automatic capabilities, but I understand that is an additional $8,000, and we really don't use the automatic features much anyway. Seems we are getting to the point where despite buying the machine, one doesn't necessarily own all of its capabilities. I imagine soon everything will be on a yearly subscription basis. The Next Gen machines are electric over hydraulic rather than pilot controls, and I hated it at first as the feel of the controls wasn't nearly as nice as our older machines, but we are getting used to them and they can be adjusted.

One thing that the rover and TBC has been very beneficial for is being able to do pre and post construction surveys, and to be able to produce earthwork reports comparing the two surfaces. On one project that we bid on there was a requirement to hire a licensed surveyor to perform pre and post surveys to establish a quantity of material moved, as that cost line item was an actual quantity. There was approximately 110,000 cubic yards of mine tailings to move in order to restore a floodplain. We bid that item including the surveyor' cost, which was about $25,000, and included drone flights but he could only assure accuracy to within .3' as the tailings had come out of a dredge and were not at all uniform. In an alternate proposal included in our proposal we suggested that we would flat top the tailings, shoot the cut area with our rover, and then shoot it again once we had completed construction, and then provide the data to the engineer as well as our Sitech Rep to calculate the volume of tailings moved. They Project Manager accepted our alternative calculating that even if our data was off in our favor by 5% or so the savings in not having to hire a licensed surveyor would be a push. We prepared our own earthwork report via TBC (very easy to do) and came out within 100 cubic yards of what the engineer calculated using our data. I am not smart enough to know exactly why there was any difference, but I believe it had to do with trimming triangles on the surface edges.

The Next Gen is pretty impressive as the screen in the machine shows shading in between lines, and really helps to see what we are building beyond the reach of the boom. The download process is different as the calibration file is integrated into TBC and then exported from there, whereas with the CB460 we are able to add a cfg file independently on the jump drive. The Next Gen also contains the ability to add files/designs directly to the machine from the office, though I don't see us using that feature.

As I am sure many of you have learned, the old free TBC versions did not require the licensing to complete most of the tasks that we use. I bought a lower level of license for our newer version (under duress), but still have the older version just in case.

I bet you will find that after becoming comfortable with the new technology there is no way you would ever go back, but swallowing the initial cost is less than palatable!

Once again Oxbow thank you for posting this, very valuable information. Wife and I are headed to Vegas for Conexpo Tues and our main goal for the show is dialing in data prep, modeling and machine control with a field trip into autonomous machine control. Gotta figure a way around the lack of skilled labor one way or the other.

For us the ability to push models to the field in real time will be very advantageous as our jobs often have change orders either initiated by the field conditions or the design team.

No doubt the cost of entry is steep however what this technology is capable of is very impressive and if you don't have it you will be left behind in the commercial market if your competition has it and you don't.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Back at the downtown parking lot project.

Storm and detention installed. 6" cap of structural fill being placed and compacted to subgrade. Conditions were a little wet however the fill held up well under the 85K tri-axles.

IMG_4274.jpeg

Progressing the fill along the railroad tracks.

IMG_4272.jpeg

This was the first project where GPS really shined and made us all believers. It did help it was a perfect project with no obstructions and wide open grades.

IMG_4270.jpeg

The structural fill hauled in is some of the best in the area. Very sandy with a little clay that blades and compacts easily.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Back at the new concept drive-thru only Chicken Shack.

Loading out electrical underground, footing, plumbing and grease trap spoils. I don't know where the other subs dug this much material out of on such a small site. Doesn't matter to us as it's all T&M to haul it off, just makes one wonder sometimes.

The 3' bucket for the our 305 really shined on this part. There was no room to move a bigger hoe so we did it with the mini.

Company perro numero dos Dipstick standing guard over the carnage.

IMG_4326.jpeg

Front parking lot facing wally world junior getting back close to grade.

IMG_4333.jpeg

Curb and gutter formed up and ready to pour. Concrete crew was out of Atlanta and I wasn't impressed. Our super had to point out to them the belly they had in the forms half way between the hooded grate inlet and the other HGI in front of the 279D. They fixed it before pouring.

IMG_4359.jpeg

Drive thru where the two ordering lanes come back to one. The curb on the left next to the bank is where we had to install the underdrain back up thread.

IMG_4363.jpeg

It has rained down here so much this year, more than usual. So tired of the mud.

Welder Dave

I figured this might be a good place to ask if a dump truck can pack wet/moist mostly clay with a little sand almost as much as a pull type pad foot compactor? It's for my 1/4 mile oval track. I can cultivate and even rototill the top few inches and have the grader for leveling but can't afford a packer. Just need to pack it so it doesn't produce potholes and chunks coming off. The county has a packer they will rent cheap but it's a problem if I have to go get it and then take it back. I thought maybe with the right moisture the tandem wheels would pack it relatively evenly.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Well WD most specs and geotechs here require a loaded tandem dump truck proof roll a site before any engineered fill is placed. A friend of mine who is also a geo-engineer would rather have a tandem do a proof roll compaction test instead of a nuke gage because in his words - "A tandem doesn't lie".

A fully loaded tandem dump is a great compactor especially for clay when the moisture content is at or right at optimum. The problem with using a tandem as a compactor is efficiency compared to an 84" wide roller that covers more SF in a pass. However you are not building pads everyday you just need your track fixed.

So if you have a tandem at your disposal, load it up and get to rolling, I wouldn't rent a roller. Hell it doesn't have to be a tandem dump, a single axle dump or water truck works just a good only thing is you have to make a few more passes.

Another option is a trench roller. We have 2 of them (need 2 in order to have 1 working when you need it..:rolleyes:) and use them all the time. What a trench roller would allow you to do is get in tight transitions. I picked up the last one for around $5K IIRC at auction.

The poor man's way of determining optimum moisture in soil is grab a handful and squeeze it into a ball. Open your hand leaving the soil ball in your palm. If soil sticks to your fingers it's too wet, if it crumbles and falls apart it's too dry if it makes a ball and stays it's shape then it's close to optimum moisture.

hvy 1ton

It has rained down here so much this year, more than usual. So tired of the mud.
I feel that one. December-February is normally the driest part of the year for me. I'm sitting on 6" YTD. Which is approaching 400% of normal rainfall. About the only time there hasn't been mud is when the ground is frozen.

Oxbow

I feel that one. December-February is normally the driest part of the year for me. I'm sitting on 6" YTD. Which is approaching 400% of normal rainfall. About the only time there hasn't been mud is when the ground is frozen.
So far, we have yet to experience an entire day without snow since spring began!

Welder Dave

Well WD most specs and geotechs here require a loaded tandem dump truck proof roll a site before any engineered fill is placed. A friend of mine who is also a geo-engineer would rather have a tandem do a proof roll compaction test instead of a nuke gage because in his words - "A tandem doesn't lie".

A fully loaded tandem dump is a great compactor especially for clay when the moisture content is at or right at optimum. The problem with using a tandem as a compactor is efficiency compared to an 84" wide roller that covers more SF in a pass. However you are not building pads everyday you just need your track fixed.

So if you have a tandem at your disposal, load it up and get to rolling, I wouldn't rent a roller. Hell it doesn't have to be a tandem dump, a single axle dump or water truck works just a good only thing is you have to make a few more passes.

Another option is a trench roller. We have 2 of them (need 2 in order to have 1 working when you need it..:rolleyes:) and use them all the time. What a trench roller would allow you to do is get in tight transitions. I picked up the last one for around $5K IIRC at auction.

The poor man's way of determining optimum moisture in soil is grab a handful and squeeze it into a ball. Open your hand leaving the soil ball in your palm. If soil sticks to your fingers it's too wet, if it crumbles and falls apart it's too dry if it makes a ball and stays it's shape then it's close to optimum moisture.
Thanks for that. Sorry I just got notice that someone responded to my question. I have a dump truck and a single axle water truck with a 2000 gallon tank. I thought the tandem would pack more evenly than a single axle. It doesn't necessarily have to be packed rock hard just evenly packed to hold the moisture in without developing pot holes. I think the truck might do a good job empty while leaving the track a little tacky. For bike races could scarily the surface which might work for cars as well. Lots of tracks have the cars with wide tires pack the track but I think it makes it easier for the track to deteriorate. A pad foot or sheep's foot is used to create depressions in the ground which will hold water. If I can open up the ground deep enough to get the water several inches down I'm hoping to pack the surface to hold the moisture in and it can slowly work its way up to control dust. Just don't want chunks and holes to form.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Thanks for that. Sorry I just got notice that someone responded to my question. I have a dump truck and a single axle water truck with a 2000 gallon tank. I thought the tandem would pack more evenly than a single axle. It doesn't necessarily have to be packed rock hard just evenly packed to hold the moisture in without developing pot holes. I think the truck might do a good job empty while leaving the track a little tacky. For bike races could scarily the surface which might work for cars as well. Lots of tracks have the cars with wide tires pack the track but I think it makes it easier for the track to deteriorate. A pad foot or sheep's foot is used to create depressions in the ground which will hold water. If I can open up the ground deep enough to get the water several inches down I'm hoping to pack the surface to hold the moisture in and it can slowly work its way up to control dust. Just don't want chunks and holes to form.

A padfoot roller is used in heavy clay soils to beat it into submission. The feet knead the soil like kneading bread dough. A smooth drum is used in granular soils and to seal off soil.

Our 533E is a smooth drum with a padfoot shell and I think the last time the drum was off was in 2018.

Sounds like you need to experiment with the moisture content in the soil and the weight of the truck to determine the best plan of action for your track.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Project we started back in Feb. 6 AC industrial lot with a 12k SF building on the lower 3 +/- acre portion which is the lower portion of the property bound by a drainage swale on the lowest property line.

We have had more rain the first 3 months of this year that I can remember. Did I tell ya'll we're grading the lowest part of the property? :rolleyes:

Punch in clearing day. Clearing limits marked with blue and pink ribbon for reference. Usually clearing limits are a strict delineation but on this job just a guideline since it's all the same owner and they will develop the other 3 acres in the future.

2nd gen SYP covers most of the site with some hardwoods in the mix. Unfortunately not enough marketable pine to bring a logger in.

IMG_4376.jpeg

Put the 325FL and 321DL to work. We knew going into this job that it was a wet site with soft soils at the wrong time of the year. More to come on that.

IMG_4379.jpeg

Wisteria had taken over the lower acre of the site where the retention pond will be located. The soil was so soft we used the wisteria as a mud mat to reach all the trees to clear towards the new housing project.

IMG_4403.jpeg

Lucy received a new vest just for this job - safety first!:)

IMG_4406.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
First order of business was to build the retention pond at the lowest point of the job where all the water flows to - mission accepted. If you're going to be dumb, ya' gotta be tough.

Sawed up some 8-12" dia trees to use as mud mats to get in and out of the pond. Those logs are and will be left in place for the next generation or robots to find.

IMG_4411.jpeg

First time we have a set an OCS (outlet control structure) like this with no bottom. 18" inlet, 18" outlet and 6" hole for a Faircloth skimmer. Engineer designed this structure to sit on a #57 stone bed which also serves as a filter. We don't get paid to design - just install..

Luckily we found an 8x8 or so concrete slab buried who knows how long ago we used as a raft under the structure then filled 2' of stone on top of. It worked.

Pic of OCS before install.

IMG_4409.jpeg

Soil was so soft we had to use a roll of non-woven fabric we had at the shop and a 1' or so of #57's to get it set.

Wisteria once again being put to some sort of good use as a brush check dam.

IMG_4412.jpeg

OCS, 18" RCP and headwall installed for the detention pond. This was some of the hardest pipe we've laid in a while. Had to fabric the entire run and damn near used a 25 tons of #57 stone.

IMG_4415.jpeg

hosspuller

I don't understand what the Faircloth skimmer is supposed to do in this case. The inlet brings in the water, the outlet takes the water away. Doesn't seem like the skimmer will do much of anything. The OCS might catch some sediment until the next gully washer scours the OCS clean, out the outlet. Is there anything to slow the water out the outlet?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Damn that's a pile of wisteria! That stuff is like a rope that thinks it's a cable.

No doubt! That stuff is 10 times worse than kudzu. We found the best way to tackle it was just cut 1' below grade and take the roots and all.

How did you get that much stone and rip rap through that soup?

Used the wisteria as mud mats for the excavator path. The topsoil and silty soup was 5-6 deep before any hard ground was found so undercut and replace was not in the budget for a pond that will never hold water. More on that in my reply to Hosspuller.

Basically just kept stuffing wisteria in the muck and driving over it until the excavator could stand up. This area is where the outside wall of the pond will be. This was one of those old school get it done projects. The owner could've spend $100-150K to undercut and replace the muck in pond but why?

Wisteria road - same pic as above. Look close at the excavator tracks and you can see vines smushed up on either side

IMG_4415 (1).jpeg

This is how we got the 57's and rip-rap down there. Good ol' trusty rock box. Couldn't load it all the way but it floated OK across the muck.

IMG_4467.jpeg

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I don't understand what the Faircloth skimmer is supposed to do in this case. The inlet brings in the water, the outlet takes the water away. Doesn't seem like the skimmer will do much of anything. The OCS might catch some sediment until the next gully washer scours the OCS clean, out the outlet. Is there anything to slow the water out the outlet?

HP me neither, it's a head scratcher for sure. :cool:

The rip-rap check dam is really the only thing holding any water back. I think the engineer missed a note on the plans to plug the 18" orifice temporarily until the site and pond is stabilized. That would hold water in the pond and let the skimmer do it's job during a rain event. Water would still exit through the 57's in the bottom of the structure but storm flow wouldn't pass through.

The skimmer is onsite and we will end up installing it just for looks.