• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A recent job

AzIron

0906170739.jpg 0908170837.jpg 0908170837a.jpg 0905170858a.jpg Nothing like doing a job twice we took on this footing after another company figured out the rock was harder than they could handle they dug the entire footing out and exposed all the rock that was above grade at the concrete companies request and leave it for the guy that contracted the pad because he was responsible for the hard dig. needless to say he couldnt do it and after a few other companies referred us they asked us to do the job

AzIron

the footing is 10 foot wide with a 2 foot deep keyway we had to hammer all of the key and about a foot in most places in the rest of the footing and the only way to really set up was to backfill all 400 foot and start over
2 weeks later with a 2000 pound hammer and it was good0908171037.jpg

AzIron

Here is another house that we have been working on when they built the pad they didn't have to put retaining walls in against the high wall but the pad company didn't cut a ditch for drainage around back so we worked our way in so we could hammer out the rock and make it have drainage it was tight you couldn't drive around the corner you had to pull yourself around. Another fun job no one wants4346.jpeg 4347.jpeg 4348.jpeg 4346.jpeg 4347.jpeg 4348.jpeg

Tags

Looks great! Good for you sneaking in there and getting that done. That kind of work is never easy, but always feels good when you get it done. I always find that no one (builder) never really appreciates the skill and determination it takes to get a job like that completed after the fact when it was soooooo easy to do it the first time....

AzIron

Here are more of retaining wall footings for a custom house the pictures do not do justice for the pile of dirt

I really like jobs like this they are a good challenge to dig the footings right put steps in and move dirt to make the job accesable for everyone to work it you really have to see what you want before you start at certain points we had to triple cast dirt to get it out of the way 1013170909.jpg 1013170912.jpg 1010171346.jpg

AzIron

The hole the rock is in is 5 foot deep the 315 did not have enough weight in the back to pick it up I had to roll it out of the hole to get the blade behind it to carry it up the hill the tricky part was it that rock got away from me there was nothing to stop it from going through the culdesac below I would of hammered it but we didn't need the big hammer for this section of the job and on that day dad took his backhoe to dig another job so we made do5965.jpeg 5964.jpeg

AzIron

More footings the top picture is for the stem wall of the house the rest are retaing wall with a 18 inch by 1 foot keys at in the bottom1106171159.jpg 1106171159a.jpg 1106171200.jpg 1103171223.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
AZiron nice work! I love to see how others do it around the country. Your landscape and working conditions are so different than what we have to deal with in AL.

Really like that 314 with the blade, I'd like to have one in the "fleet".:D

AzIron

Thanks for the compliments
AZ is definitely different from your part of the world in my opinion rock is easy i can always get a bigger hammer ( of course there are exceptions like when you can feel a 4000lbs hammer bounce back and 2 days later you only gone 10 foot) but mud is not something i deal with unless we make it lol. CM if you only knew what an extension of your hand that blade is the 315 really is a good machine now if the could design the cab so a big guy can get in and out without tripping it would be a lot better that was about the only thing that was a pain every time i jumped out to shoot grade i couldnt just slide out because the arm rest and joystick wont move out of the way but it swings well and has decent power and beileve me we put that to the test with the dinosaur eggs we were digging out on that job

AzIron

Another fun one the pool company ripped out the sewer line and of course by the time the builder let the plumber into fix it everyone else already had there stuff in the ground I didn't get pics of the sewer tap but it was 8ft deep and under a bunch of pool pipe but the fun part of this job was I had to dig at an eighth of fall per foot because I had to dig all the way around the pool to get to the ally there was about 8 inches to spare when I got to the tap1107171510.jpg 1107171511_HDR.jpg 1107171511.jpg

AzIron

Just the backfill work
this is a catch pond for tail water from the irrigation the pipe we backfilled was for the pump back system the pump company will set a lift pump up and the water will get pumped back up to the ditch at the top of the field
1130170812.jpg 1130171512.jpg 1130171513.jpg

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
nice work looks good those new cabs on those 314 and up on the zero swing are a pain to get into we have a 314 and 2 321 with those cabs on them I'm a big also it sucks getting in and out of them a lot. Are those your videos on you tube

AzIron

thanks

no those are not my videos that guys channel had a different name before

AzIron

0110181051.jpg 0110181052.jpg 0111180803.jpg
nothing like spending a week hammering rock for a retaining wall footing got this job on referral from another company that hates doing rock jobs so we do all there hard digs. actually this would have been a much better job had the homeowner not been involved the concrete company is supper nice and tells you exactly what they want and to adjust the steps accordingly. the homeowner is retired from a big framing outfit nice guy but knows absolutely nothing about dirt concrete or masonry. he argued with all the steps the footing width and everything else it seemed like. the other thing that was weird was the engineer called out the plans for the house footing to be over excavated 6 inches and then compacted because he said since half the pad is on natural and the other half i built up he was worried about everything settling equally. i will say this if they have settling there problem wont be that its equal LOL. the other thing that suprised me was that the steps in the plans were not declared in increments that work with block so we had to adjust that. we used to dig for a concrete company years ago the owner taught me a lot about concrete and block work so when we dig we make our steps in increments divisible by 4 so the block guys dont have to trim block and the concrete guys dont have to adjust the footing up with extra mud to work better for block. it pays to know what the trades following you need so they dont have a mess to deal with

Last edited:

AzIron

0123180720a.jpg 0123180824a.jpg 0126181536.jpg
this was a fun one to dig the only hard part was digging with one outrigger up you cant go to fast like that

the other is our stuff at the house the kw is dads with a 3406e and a 15 speed that truck is nice sounds even better than it looks but you have to know how to drive it to get in a lot of places we have put it

the international is mine its got an ism and a 10 speed and with the short trailer on it i have gone in some really tight spots witch is really handy

i was surprised by this but that cummins gives the old cat a run for her money running up some of them hills but there is about 10000 pounds differnce between both trucks

Last edited: