• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A walk through the local demo contractor's yard

1466IH

I have installed a few that were all self contained and just plumb into aux lines on boom. Makes it nice for demo contractors that switch attachments a lot. There are no electronic controls or anything and the aux circuit runs a generator built into the top of the magnet.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I looked into it a couple of years ago for a client. The mag unit was over $40K in the crate.

aighead

The little boy in me (and full grown man I've become) can sit and watch magnetic scrap moving all day. My kid's school is next to a couple scrap yards so I get to peek inside their gates occasionally and get to see it in action. I don't know how long before that job gets boring but I think I'd be tempted to find out. I'm assuming that's not the kind of job they'll offer to some middle-aged dude who has run a backhoe for a bit, in his yard.

Welder Dave

I think a magnet would be extremely useful for separating steel in demo applications and the cost is probably inline or maybe even less than a big shear.

skyking1

I stopped by the local metal recycler on the hill and dropped off that oil tank from yesterday, and found out the mystery of the 800 komatsu. I had speculated that maybe they parked it there so it would be easy to scrap
Nope. They're fitting it with an even bigger shear than the one I put in the post #12 up above.
That's the biggest combo I've seen like that.
The guys from Modern Machinery are scrambling around on it getting the plumbing right.
There's a bunch of them there today, @John C.
PXL_20230425_155715181.jpg

PXL_20230425_155729008.jpg

Wawrecker

I stopped by the local metal recycler on the hill and dropped off that oil tank from yesterday, and found out the mystery of the 800 komatsu. I had speculated that maybe they parked it there so it would be easy to scrap
Nope. They're fitting it with an even bigger shear than the one I put in the post #12 up above.
That's the biggest combo I've seen like that.
The guys from Modern Machinery are scrambling around on it getting the plumbing right.
There's a bunch of them there today, @John C.
View attachment 284704

View attachment 284705
Who's PC800 is this?