• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

About to start apprenticeship!

Oregon Rob

Occupation
Equipment operator
Just wondering if anyone has gone through the iuoe apprenticeship?
I was accepted (Local 701) and start training in May at the Eugene training center (4 weeks).
Anyone start this way? Any advice for a newbie?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've got no experience in what you're asking, but as a general rule for education, you'll learn much more if you go in open minded and absorb the information that is thrown your way. Some guys come into the business with a cocky "Know it all" attitude, and miss half of what they are offered.

Be humble, ask questions, and above all, pay attention!

Good luck in your new career!:D

PAYTON

Charter Member
Occupation
OPERATOR
i work with alot of apperntices and one thing the burns me more then anything is sum one who acts like they know it all..
the owner of the company i work for in the president of the national apernicship board so we get alot of newbies.. sum decent sum ******.. the main thing that gets to people is listen learn watch.. if you dont understand ask to be shown. and foremost learn hand signals.. i know its sounds stupid but that and reading lips is one of the keys to working with sum one.. espically when you cant just talk.good luck and enjoy everything you learn.. and dont be scared to get on anything and everything u can....

payton
iuoe local 103
indianapolis indiana

Oregon Rob

Occupation
Equipment operator
Thanks much for the advice. I am good listener, so that’s not a problem. I will make sure I pay attention to learning the hand signals. That is the kind of advice I would like to hear, the stuff that will make me a better apprentice and operator.
Thanks again,

Rob

killdozer

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Apprenticeship

I think everyone here is giving you good advice; but here is one additional thing. If at all possible, watch the fellows rigging the loads when you are lifting anything. I don't care if its manhole sections, rebar, lumber, pipe, structurals, or anything else watch the rigger if you can and don't be afraid to correct him if you don't like what you see. Pick up a foot or so, if the load is out of balance lower it back down and make the rigger adjust the harness. If he tells you to pick it up anyway, "we're in a hurry," he is in a hurry to die, don't listen to him. You do not want to be responsible for hurting anybody including yourself. I have seen many hurt and some die from badly rigged loads. 'nuff said?

Oregon Rob

Occupation
Equipment operator
Am I correct in assuming that the operator has the last word in a situation like this?

PAYTON

Charter Member
Occupation
OPERATOR
yes you have the last say

and honestly dont be affraid to stand up for something you feel is dangerours! i had a friends brother get killed by an operator or was in a hurry and went ahead and lifted a section of pipe with out it being properly secured!.it feel on her brother and it wasnt pretty! lets say it sleved him thats nuff said! do you havea cell phone.. program all the bas phone numbers in it! and know which one is over the area your working in.. and dont be affraid to call them!

payton

motrack

Charter Member
Occupation
field service tech
hey Payton............are you back to working on the airport project?

seen a lot of iron runing out there the past few weeks.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Originally posted by Oregon Rob
Am I correct in assuming that the operator has the last word in a situation like this?

Absolutely!!!The advise you have been given is right on target.Any time you have a person working in the hole or out of your site you do not dump or swing or do anything unless you can see that person and the affect that move might have on him.If you have a knowledgable person in the trench or hole as the case may be he will not ever get out of eye contact with you when you might became a threat to his welfare.
You need to establish that trust to work comfortably,I have Pi**ed off more than one that expected me to break the rules and there will probably be more.That machine is a weapon,don't ever think other wise,in involuntary cough on your part could kill someone...always bear that in mind!!

Oregon Rob

Occupation
Equipment operator
Well I was just noticing that work seemed to be really picking up here in Oregon, base on the amount of active projects going on, when I got this:
---------------------------------------------------------

“Good morning Robert,

I am writing you to let you know that we have a unique opportunity to begin your pre-employment orientation training EARLY and possibly send you to work sooner. If at all possible, we would like to have you begin training on April 26, 2004 at 7:30 AM and continue through May 21, 2004. It will be the same four weeks of training that we had originally scheduled you for beginning on May 24, 2004. This puts you into the work season one month earlier.

Please call me as soon as possible to either accept this early opportunity or to discuss your options. Thank you in advance for a speedy reply.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I think they are getting calls for apprentices that they aren’t able to fill.
They created an early session that will be run with 6 people instead of 20.

Here I go.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Good luck, Rob!

In 25 years or so we'll be expecting you to answer questions from the perspective of an "old operator". :)

Dirtguru

Occupation
Excavation Contractor
That is great news Rob. Your right about thing picking up here in Oregon. Retirement has been a factor but the biggest factor is bridge replacement is booming in the northwest right now. Also I have heard talk of a major north south lightrail project in the Portland area.

A Chapman

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I learned form watching, and listening to some darn good operators, but never had any formal "training". I'll be interested in hearing just what, and how they teach you. For instance, how much of "how to control the machine" as opposed to how much of "what to do with the machine". (They are two entirely different topics, at least in my mind.) And how much classroom time vs. seat time? And how big a variety of types?

(Man, I've got a lot of questions this ,morning!)

Do keep us informed. :)

ricojsuave

starting apprenticeship

Hey there Oregon Rob,
Rick here in Spokane. I start apprenticeship training in January. Do you have any fresh new advice since you have been in the program a while?

Thanks in advance,