• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Adding an auger to cat320dl

Shivan Dookeran

Hey guys , my work has been mainly centered around clearing g trees but lately the company I work for has been getting alot of auger jobs and I'm thinking I can make extra money by getting an auger attachment for my cat 320dl serial kgf00762
It os already plumbed for attachment and has a quick hitch , my question is how does it work 2 way ? Is it a physical switch or hydraulic setup to be able to turn the auger both ways?

skyking1

thumb circuit works two ways.
Beware heat when you get it going. I prefer letting motor loads to get dumped straight to the tank, but needing two way function means it has to go back through the valves both ways.

Shivan Dookeran

thumb circuit works two ways.
Beware heat when you get it going. I prefer letting motor loads to get dumped straight to the tank, but needing two way function means it has to go back through the valves both ways.
How exactly do you mean? It's just activated by a footswitch or am I missing something ?

skyking1

Yes, if you got auxiliary plumbing out there on this stick there has to be either a switch or something.
Most of the time it's switches on your control sticks. A trigger switch on the right. Maybe a trigger switch on the left. A thumb switch.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I think there might be more involved, including the boom/stick piping because with 1-way hydraulics one line is always a return with only low pressure. With 2-way hydraulics both lines can be high pressure depending on which way the oil is moving to the attachment.

A quick look at the parts shows both medium and high pressure line arrangements for AUX hydraulics on both the boom and stick. Also a look in the sales brochure shows a slew of AUX options. i imagine what you have now is something like a single function circuit, what you need is a Tool Control setup. Maybe the TC setp could even be controlled using joystick-mounted push buttons.

1716237781486.png

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
No mechanic here but it sounds like your machine has just a one way hammer aux line. The tool control circuit provides for two way and more functions like Nige posted above and has buttons on the joysticks.

I would like to add a hammer line to our MPG series 321DLCR but the plumbing and valves are expensive just for a one way line, the 2 way line will be more expensive. Might be cheaper to find another machine.

Just for example I had the dealer add a 3rd medium pressure line on our next gen 325 in order to run rotating grapples or a processor and it was $14K and change on a brand new machine.

Shivan Dookeran

Would thetc circuit from a larger machine like a 345b work or should I really do like cm1995 says and look for another machine

I do Thank you for the responses I'm learning as I go along .

One other scenario I've seen is the use of the bucket circuit to control the auger ,I know it's time consuming but it gets the job done.