• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anybody Familiar With CASE IH 5130 PTO?

adg

I've got a Case IH 5130 with PTO issues. It wouldn't engage with an implement attached, but it came on just fine without implement, but I could stop it by hand. I'd like to test PTO pressure before I tear it apart, but I don't have a spec and I'm not sure where to plumb in at as my service manual has been less than helpful

Thanks!

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
I'm not familiar with your tractor but a quick look on the internet says it's a mechanical drive so nothing to pressure test.
Check that the PTO clutch is fully engaging. If it is then the problem is internal which can be a worn clutch or busted shaft.

Tinkerer

Isn't the pto powerd by the transmission pump ?
If it engages but you can stop it from turning by hand that indictes worn out clutch plates, just like Tones said.
From looking at the parts book you have very complex pto gear box.

adg

Isn't the pto powerd by the transmission pump ?
If it engages but you can stop it from turning by hand that indictes worn out clutch plates, just like Tones said.
From looking at the parts book you have very complex pto gear box.
According to the manual, PTO is driven by input shaft connected to lube/charge pump shaft. It is engaged by a control valve and hydraulic clutch. I was hoping someone had a test procedure before I tore it apart, but I went ahead and pulled PTO, today or tomorrow I'll break it down. I assume i'll either find bad seals at the valve or piston or worn clutches. I'll update either way!