• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone haul a 450G JD dozer on a single axle rollback

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
Has anyone hauled a John Deere 450G Dozer on a single axle Rollback Truck? The Dozer weighs real close to 15,000 lbs. just wondering if anyone does this on a regular basis. And how well it handled it and drivability. Lot easier to find a Single axle rollback then a tandem.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I hauled several 450C, and 450D series along with some 550 series on my Mack Mid-Liner rollback truck without any issues. I always ran them up on planking as my deck was steel but never any problems; just chain down rigid.

Truck had a 12K steer and 21K rear on spring ride. I loaded forward with the center of the u/c over the drive axle and this seems pretty well balanced. Never any problems.

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
Thanks for the reply what did your rollback light weight and could you legal the axles? My Excavator only weighs 11,000 so not worried about it.
I hauled several 450C, and 450D series along with some 550 series on my Mack Mid-Liner rollback truck without any issues. I always ran them up on planking as my deck was steel but never any problems; just chain down rigid.

Truck had a 12K steer and 21K rear on spring ride. I loaded forward with the center of the u/c over the drive axle and this seems pretty well balanced. Never any problems.

1693TA

Occupation
Truck was just shy of 18K empty. I never went across any scales, nor weighed the truck loaded with these so cannot answer to legalities.

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
Thanks I have scales on two sides of me just cruise if you every axeled yours thanks for the loading info.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
A single axle should be good for up to about 33,000lb gross or so, it should say on the door plate of the truck. You could probably squeeze a 16,000lb dozer onto it. That being said, your garden variety automotive rollbacks are rarely that heavy, most are going to be under CDL, which is 26,000lb. Most of the hoists are not really going to be heavy enough to do what you want to do on a regular basis. There is a big difference between doing something occasionally and doing it every day.

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
Thanks for the reply. It has a GVW of 33,000 it's the only one I have found that's not a 26,000 and under Rollback. I'm going to look it over on Tuesday or Wednesday. It's about 400 miles away but since it's the only 33,000 I've been able to find in a two +months search it's worth looking at. The owner said the tag on the bed is gone just four rivet holes but I'm going to assume the bed is built for the GVW of the truck or slightly more. There are tandem axle rollbacks in the Midwest but to fare away and there rust buckets.

Attachments

• 20230517_172617.jpg
    20230517_172617.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 41

crane operator

Looks like a older ford L7000 or L8000. The short nose ones can be difficult to work on, the engine is under the firewall pretty far. 3208 for power?

1693TA

Occupation
Looks like an industial carrier rather than an automotive rollback carrier truck. Should have plenty of capacity for what you look to do. Planks are a good idea as those steel deck are as slick as snot on a doorknob and worse when wet.

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
It's a 96 L8000 with a 8.3 Cummins. If I buy it I'm thinking about just bolting some planks to the deck. What do you guys think about rubber belting verses planks? I'm probably going to fabricate some steel rails that drop in the stake pockets so the dozer won't slide off the side also.

1693TA

Occupation
Rubber can be just as slick as oiled steel. I would stay with white oak planks; but it's easily available around here.

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
Doug fir is our best bet here in Oregon. Haven't seen any white oak around here. I had not thought about oil on the rubber good tip.

1693TA

Occupation
Look to semi trailer shops for "Apitong" decking. It lasts really well and is replacing white oak in many instances.

You don't need side bars on your deck. ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS chain your tracks pulling from the inside of the track shoe to the outer grab surface of the trailer. Again, and ALWAYS use four chains at a minimum of adequate sizing for this task.

And yes I am yelling with the word always in the prior paragraph.

Last edited:

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
I've Owned my own Trucking business since April of 1982 so I'm very familiar with tie down securement. Never owned a Rollback it's a semiretirement toy. To haul my own Excavator and Dozer around when I sell my Dump Truck and equipment trailer.

1693TA

Occupation
I've Owned my own Trucking business since April of 1982 so I'm very familiar with tie down securement. Never owned a Rollback it's a semiretirement toy. To haul my own Excavator and Dozer around when I sell my Dump Truck and equipment trailer.
Great! Lot's of hot shots out there that think they know, or push the limits and get an education beside the roadway by the boys in blue. Didn't want to see you in that predicament.

I've carried my 51 Mack dump truck on the rollback mentioned earlier several times and never had problems. It is almost 19k in weight so I'd think you'll be fine once you find a proper balance point to scale correctly.

daverd4

Occupation
O/O Truuck Driver
Yes I get the hot shot thing. I'm headed up to Montana to take a look tomorrow the GVW is 33,000 and he says the light weight is a little over 18,000. I don't think the cab and chassie could weight much over 9 K so I'm thinking it's a well built bed. The tag is gone on the bed so don't know what it's rated at.