• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Approx. weight of an old D7 w/cable blade?

Jeff D.

I saw one for sale today, and am curious as to about how much they weigh, within a couple thousand pounds.

Thanks!!:)

Deas Plant

Cat D7 weight.

Hi, JeffD.
I was always led to believe that a Cat D7 3T with a cable angle blade was around the 17 ton mark. At least, that is what the float drivers who moved the ones I operated always told me. There would not be an awful lot of difference between models until the D7E hit the market. I was always told that it was around 23-24 tons with hyd dozer blade and ripper.

Hope this helps

Jeff D.

Hope this helps
Yes it does, thank you!

That's actually lighter than I expected. I didn't see a pony starting motor on it either, but only took a quick walk around. I may check into this further, next week, and see what the price and condition is.

Thank you Sir.

Deas Plant

Tons and tons and Tonnes.

Hi, JeffD.
Always bearing in mind that our 'tons' were based on 'Ye Olde Englishe Systeme' which had a ton at 2,240 #.

I hope there is either a pilot motor or a direct electric starter motor on it. Given that whichever one it might be works, it will help you to get the beast going.

Best of luck.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
I can see it now:

Old School Excavation Inc.
Jeff D. - Proprietor

Now you need to pick up a B model Mack to pull 'em around with!

wrenchbender

Yes it does, thank you!

That's actually lighter than I expected. I didn't see a pony starting motor on it either, but only took a quick walk around. I may check into this further, next week, and see what the price and condition is.

Thank you Sir.

A lot of the old 6's and 7's have been changed over to electric start. I still like the old ponys but the electric's are more cost effective. And easier to change out or rebuild.I've seen 12 and 24 volt change overs some home made some store bought. Old Jim don't have either( locked up pony) on his 6 he just parks at the top of a hill on his place.I've had to go help him start it a couple of times when he stalled it out once. And once when some one let the blade down hard while not running.

Hjolli

Old D7´s

Speaking of old D7s 3T, are there still many of those around?

Some of the first machines I ever drove some 30 yrs ago were D7's from the fifties. I found them just awful for different reasons: One of them was so nose heavy that grading was totally impossible, at least for me the operator newbee. (it only had a drawbar at the rear): The other had ok stability, but was seriously lacking in power. Then when I got to drive the D7E with a ripper it was like a totally different world.

Just wondering if any one still finds these old machines useful for anything:rolleyes:

Hjolli

Jeff D.

Now you need to pick up a B model Mack to pull 'em around with!
I need a lowboy first though. My current Mack will have too do for now.:D I know where there was an old lowboy for sale cheap, but don't know if it's still there. That will also play a part in my desicion.
wrenchbender said:
A lot of the old 6's and 7's have been changed over to electric start. I still like the old ponys but the electric's are more cost effective.
I'll get to find out tomorrow what it has, and the price. It's gonna have to be priced low for me too get real interested though.:rolleyes:
Hjolli said:
Speaking of old D7s 3T, are there still many of those around?.............

..........Just wondering if any one still finds these old machines useful for anything
Well, there's one for sure still around.:cool2

You weren't too impressed with them then?? That's the kind of stuff I'd like to know before I get serious about it. I don't expect it to compare to a modern machine. As long as it was comparable to other dozers of the time. I'd probobly be using it mostly for clearing land, and don't imagine it would be doing tons of work.

If anyone else has any experience with the old D7's, I'd really apperciate it.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
And of course Jeff, you know we want to see pics......:D

Deas Plant

Those ol' slow-banger D7's

Hi, JeffD and Hjolli.
Yes, the early D7's, RD7 through to 17A/D7C-D were a little nose-heavy but it wasn't something that you couldn't get used to pretty easily. Mind you, most dozers of that era were a little nose heavy 'cos crawler tractor designers were still coming to grips with the change from crawlers being pulling machines used for drawbar work to crawlers being pushing machines used for dozer work.

As I said, it's not something that you can't get used to fairly easily. Just be careful in wet areas 'cos they tend to drive in just fine and then not back out. It was sometimes possible in such a situation, if you had nothing else around to give you a pull, to disconnect the blade at the push trunnions and maybe let the blade lift rope go too and back the bare tractor out to firm ground then pull the blade out and re-attach it. The bare tractor would back out of wet spots that the dozer complete with blade would just bury itself in nose down as you tried to back out.

Those ol' slow-banger D7's were as reliable a tractor as was built back in those days and not much has come close to them since either. Give it a good checking over before you part with your money so that you are less likely to get any rude surprises.

Hjolli

Hi JeffD

I may not be the best judge of these old D7´s as I was inexerienced when I drove this nose heavy machine, and the material I was working in was volcano ash which is just like sand very hard to grade. I´ m sure if it had been better balanced it would have been an ok machine. It had a turbo engine (a D7D I think) and enough power.
As for the other oldie, it had a much better balance as it had cable control at the rear (but still hyraulic blade). That extra weight at the rear really made a difference. A shame that the engine was so weak beeing from around 1950 I think.
I found those old machines to be very comfortable for the operator as they had a front leaf spring instead of a rigid bar. But I was put off by their lack of responsivess compared to later machines.

Hjolli

Jeff D.

Thanks guy's for the replies!:thumbsup

I got the lowdown on this particular dozer today. It needs a final drive rebuilt.:eek:

It had $5k stuck into the motor last spring, and also had the engine converted to electric start, then during the summer the final went.

I'll be scratching that one off the list.

My bud Orchard Ex gave me some honest advice concerning my desire to get a dozer in this size range, so old. Thanks for that too!!:)

Keeping in mind what a money pit one could be, and often times is, needs to be kept fresh in my mind.

So, anyhoo, there it is..........

Thanks again everyone!!

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Thanks guy's for the replies!:thumbsup

I got the lowdown on this particular dozer today. It needs a final drive rebuilt.:eek:

It had $5k stuck into the motor last spring, and also had the engine converted to electric start, then during the summer the final went.

I'll be scratching that one off the list.

My bud Orchard Ex gave me some honest advice concerning my desire to get a dozer in this size range, so old. Thanks for that too!!:)

Keeping in mind what a money pit one could be, and often times is, needs to be kept fresh in my mind.

So, anyhoo, there it is..........

Thanks again everyone!!

Dammit!...I was hoping for another OROPS thread:(

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
good thinking jeff d, you can get a nice 25 year old cat and still get hired on for work, if the cat is 50 years old. nobody will let you on the property, LOL

thansk