• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

bed ladder and nerf bar, grab handles

skyking1

I started working on the delivery driver's 1 ton flatbed. He has been taking one of the sideboards off and using it to climb up on the bed. He's older than I, and pretty stove up in general. First project was a bed ladder.
PXL-20210128-233811934.jpg

It's 14" to the top of the step and about equal spacing on the next and then to the bed. I put nonskid tape on the steps.
I used 1 x 3 x .062 tubing for the step and 3 x 3/16 for the sides and top.
There is a 3/4 lower lip on the bed and I designed it to hang on that lip. The two stainless bolts and washers and nylon washers clamp it to the bed. I kicked it back to an existing angle iron welded to the bed to support the gas fill piping.
Next is a right hand rail that will be a piece if 1" sch 40 steel in a socket flush to the bed, removable for loading.
I will aslo fab a proper left handle and attach to the headache rack.

skyking1

@Coaldust I will do that when it is complete. Safety guys like this!
I got the nerf bar roughed in and I mounted it for testing. it is only .062 wall tubing so I was a bit concerned. It turned out fine so I took it back off and closed up the tubing and got some paint on it to cure over the weekend.
PXL_20210129_221220438.jpg

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Nice, I've eaten it more times then I can count climbing on and off flatbeds and crane truck decks.

When I do flat steps like that I tack down cuts of expanded metal as "tread"

skyking1

Nice, I've eaten it more times then I can count climbing on and off flatbeds and crane truck decks.

When I do flat steps like that I tack down cuts of expanded metal as "tread"
I just got a sheet of the flat 1/2 for a screen. I might just do that now :)

skyking1

I thought about that. The metals place only sells full sheets and had no raised metal. Probably keep the nonslip tape for now.