• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best attachment for clearing rocks

Delmer

slow enough speed on that chain, and working in the dirt it's not going to last many operating hours anyway, so I wouldn't worry about a tensioner. A block of wood works fine for tension, but it needs to be stout if that chain runs both ways.

Tags

Definitely do not lube the chain. i don’t think that spins excessively fast, not sure a tensioner is necessary. Harley rakes have em in the chain case but they run both directions and a little faster than the rockhounds do.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
It doesn't look like there tension adjustment for the chain? It will continue to stretch with use and become worse. Being exposed to the elements will accelerate wear too. Couldn't hurt to put a tensioner on.

My Harley Rake has a tensioner and the chain is within a sealed oil bath.

hseII

We have a Bobcat brand rock hound from 25 years ago: There’s not enough hours in the day for that thing.

10’ Rock rake behind a PTO tractor & the rock picker behind another PTO tractor.

I’ll share pictures.

Neither are for sale.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
It doesn't look like there tension adjustment for the chain? It will continue to stretch with use and become worse. Being exposed to the elements will accelerate wear too. Couldn't hurt to put a tensioner on.

My Harley Rake has a tensioner and the chain is within a sealed oil bath.
There is a cover, I removed for the pic.
Will figure out how to get some tension it before I use it next... just not sure what that’s gonna be yet.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Definitely do not lube the chain. i don’t think that spins excessively fast, not sure a tensioner is necessary. Harley rakes have em in the chain case but they run both directions and a little faster than the rockhounds do.
It does spin slowly... but not that slow . I’m concerned it will eat up those sprockets or start jumping off

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
slow enough speed on that chain, and working in the dirt it's not going to last many operating hours anyway, so I wouldn't worry about a tensioner. A block of wood works fine for tension, but it needs to be stout if that chain runs both ways.
Just bolt a chunk of hardwood to the side? Maybe some plastic instead?

Delmer

I'd leave it dry and the way it is. Until it has enough slack to take another link out.

Manure spreaders and some other farm equipment runs a hardwood block for a tensioner. I assume that rake reverses, and that would be harder on the tensioner than a one way rotation. Farm chains are usually oiled in with wood tensioners. I wouldn't want to oil that chain, it would hold grit and wear faster.

If you want to try a wood block tensioner, yes, just bolt a wood block to the side, the slot is already there, might have to make a custom carriage bolt to fit the slot, then you have an adjustable tensioner.

Tags

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
I’ve attached a parts breakdown of a Harley rake chain drive and it shows how they tension the chain. Fairly simple, two arms that hold a “roller skate” wheel on each arm and a spring between each arm to keep the wheels pulling towards each other on the chain. Wouldn’t be too hard to make something similar.

https://store.germanbliss.com/land-pride-sr2672-power-rake-skid-steer-attachment-chain-case-parts.

I believe you want to look at part #39, 30, & 6
I like that setup!
Off to McMaster to shop around

Tags

It’s all pretty generic stuff, just grade 8 bolts holding it all together and the spring could be had from a good hardware store. Could probably order the “wheels” from Paladin/Harley rake or literally use some harder composition skate board wheels.