• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

best equipment for 10-24'' stumps???

matthewjosh

Occupation
welder
I'm gonna rent the equipment. I'm leaning towards a dozer they have a jd 650 would this be big enough for the job? I've never driven nothing bigger than a fortlift also, I 'm just trying to save money on clearing my land. I have 6 acres which is in the process of being clearcut for the timber. I have to grade 2 acres for the house. And would like to rough grade the rest. I'll get some pics up of what the land looks like there about 80% done. thanks, josh

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
well I would suggest using a excavator to remove the stumps, A dozer would work, but depending on what type of soil you have it could take longer.
I would get a 140 -200 size excavator to do the job. then use the dozer to grade everything out once the site has been cleared. Do you have a place to put all the stumps and brush once it has be dug up or does it have to be hauled off? You will need something to load it if it's got to be hauled.

matthewjosh

Occupation
welder
yes I have a low area in the back of the property to leave it for now. The soil is loamy. Loamy should be easier right? Its mostly hardwoods too..

matthewjosh

Occupation
welder
I wonder if a excavator would be more or less to rent per day than a dozer, thanks alot guys ever bit of info will help...

matthewjosh

Occupation
welder
yea i read that one earlier, seems everybody kinda sticks up for whatever equipment they own too much instead of saying what would really work the most effenciently.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
yea i read that one earlier, seems everybody kinda sticks up for whatever equipment they own too much instead of saying what would really work the most effenciently.

Well you can't blame people for backing their equipment. With the right technique, some cunning and guile, and the right attitude, you'll find guys on here that have near on done the impossible with next to nothing in terms of "the right machine"...if there is such a thing. Some people here probably would get locked up for the things they have done....on the grounds of sanity perhaps????:rolleyes:

However, in terms of just pulling a stump out of the ground, short of Dynamite, the excavator is King for sure. You wont find too many people who have actually worked stumps with an Excavator that will disagree. On the other hand if you have to travel to a pile......:rolleyes:

matthewjosh

Occupation
welder
might rent track hoe for stumps come back with bulldozer to push stumps where I want them and to grade the land.....

dumptrucker

might rent track hoe for stumps come back with bulldozer to push stumps where I want them and to grade the land.....

I think you got it. Rent the excavtor for a week , usually if you rent it for 3 days it's only about a 100 dollars more to rent for the week. Then rent the dozer for a couple of days to do grading.

xkvator

yes I have a low area in the back of the property to leave it for now. The soil is loamy. Loamy should be easier right? Its mostly hardwoods too..

you'll end up spinning the tracks trying to push out those bigger stumps in the loamy soil, Matt...

get the excavator first...compare rental prices for machine size & get the biggest one...don't even consider one smaller than others mentioned...

...and since you've admitted to being a rookie...please buckle your seat belt.

jughead

Occupation
retired
best equip.

you'll end up spinning the tracks trying to push out those bigger stumps in the loamy soil, Matt...

get the excavator first...compare rental prices for machine size & get the biggest one...don't even consider one smaller than others mentioned...

...and since you've admitted to being a rookie...please buckle your seat belt.
A-men on the seat belt. extreme luck is the only reason i am here.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Josh---your logger only thought of himself,not you, by cutting so close to the ground.It's always easier to have 4-6' of stump for leverage when pulling out.On a larger stump,it saves considerable time. Well,too late now---I'd either use a good sized backhoe or small excavator,dozer for later,pushing and filling in/grading.