• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best Manual Grease Gun For The Money?

Ben House

Occupation
Carpenter
I have some generic grease gun, I'm not sure where I picked it up. I did buy it new, but I noticed today when I was greasing the backhoe that it leaks a lot around the connection between the grease gun and the fitting. Also between the screw on tip and the hose as well.

So I was wondering, what is a good brand of grease gun that fits well and will last a long time? It would be a big plus if it was easy to attach and remove since the current gun I have is difficult to remove after greasing.

Mike_27

I have some generic grease gun, I'm not sure where I picked it up. I did buy it new, but I noticed today when I was greasing the backhoe that it leaks a lot around the connection between the grease gun and the fitting. Also between the screw on tip and the hose as well.

So I was wondering, what is a good brand of grease gun that fits well and will last a long time? It would be a big plus if it was easy to attach and remove since the current gun I have is difficult to remove after greasing.

LockNLube couplers work great. https://locknlube.com/
Maybe a wrench to tighten the hose up?

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
When I used to use manual grease guns, I would always watch for the Lincoln cast head grease guns to go on sale at Napa. They used to be $20-$25 on sale. No idea what they run these days. I still have several that I use on rare occasions and they still work very well. Anything that was made of stamped parts or less than a cast head was avoided because they never lasted very long, no matter how fancy they were. If a tool does not last me a long time, it's costing me money.

I've been tempted to purchase a LocknLube lever gun because you can relieve the pressure if a fitting is bad and not accepting grease - this normally kills a push on type couple after a couple of bad fittings. It's tough to lay out over $100 for a manual grease gun that I won't likely use 6 times in a year. I've switched over to all pneumatic keg greasers to save time and money so the manual guns are only used in a pinch. If I was to choose a long term gun, I would certainly consider the LocknLube along side the Lincoln. If money is not an option, I would try the LnL. I have their 10ksi foot operated greaser for a specialty grease and that system works extremely well. Not cheap to purchase but it works well and the grease filler tool works well, too.

As Mike_27 mentioned, LnL couplers are the way to go. I've tried the Chinese knock-offs and they don't last anywhere near as long, maybe 6 month to a year, and can't be rebuilt. I have several LnL couplers and I usually get about 2 years use before using the rebuild kit that came with it. Typically, push on couplers last me 2 weeks to 2 months if I'm lucky, sometimes 2 days. Time is money and the math is pretty easy on this one. $30 with a rebuild kit and no hassles for a year or more - to me, that makes good logical sense.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
X2 on the Lock-N-Lube and get an 18V Milwaukee cordless grease gun, well worth the money.

Ben House

Occupation
Carpenter
Thanks for all the suggestions, I just ordered the LockNLube Lever Grip, with the grease coupler. it had very good reviews, and I am looking forward to using it. When I end up running more equipment than the old backhoe I will probably upgrade to an electric grease gun of some sort.

Again thanks for all the help, I'll let you know what I think once the gun comes in!

Flat Thunder Channel

I recently, within the last year, bought a cordless Milwaukee grease gun. It is awesome! I have no idea why I waited so long. I also purchased a lock n lube swivel and coupler. The coupling works great, but it's a little bulky. I am going to keep the original around for tight for spaces. Probably Install a zerk on the end and just clip it to the lock n lube fitting when needed.

Go for a powered name brand unit; Milwaukee or DeWalt. You won't regret it