• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Blue Tooth

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Can anybody tell me their experience with those doofus looking clip on the ear headsets? good or bad. Latley I have been using the Nokia non wireless handsfree set with the two earpieces and neck cord. Works well but the wires are always getting in the way.

When we are building walls I am the "guy" and customers/suppliers etc call me all day. If I stop laying blocks then the whole team gets held up. Its very handy to have handsfree and keep working in some description.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I moved this thread to here, because I think it's a legitimate question for this section. If you have to run the job and the business all from the seat of the machine, that takes coordination!

Sorry, Squizzy, I have no experience to offer, except to agree that they are doofus looking... :wink2

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Well, later today I have another stonemason working for me so I'm going to sit in the excavator, yell at people and talk on the phone all day.:eek:

I'm sure there must be some out there who have tried the Blue Tooth thing.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
No personal experience yet but I plan to get one in the next 2 weeks. I know many people who love them. I plan to get the Motorola headset, I'll let you know how well it works when I get it.

-K

garyhh44

Occupation
Truck mechanic Retired
Squizzy246B said:
Can anybody tell me their experience with those doofus looking clip on the ear headsets? good or bad. Latley I have been using the Nokia non wireless handsfree set with the two earpieces and neck cord. Works well but the wires are always getting in the way.

When we are building walls I am the "guy" and customers/suppliers etc call me all day. If I stop laying blocks then the whole team gets held up. Its very handy to have handsfree and keep working in some description.
:) squizzy my son is a fork truck driver for a steel co He loads steel on trucks...when the co has a special order they call his phone and he will pick the steel system works very good.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
My dad bought his first Bluetooth phone and wireless headset about about a year ago. He's on the phone all day, so it really works out well for him. This spring, he offered to upgrade my phone to a Bluetooth compatible phone and buy me a wireless headset as well. I used it about a month, realized I wasn't making enough calls to make myself look like a moron, and I haven't used it in a while. For the right person, they work great, but for me I was only making about 10 calls a day, just not enough to justify using the headset.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I am a gaget freek and sometimes I look like 1. I have a bluetooth device and when I am busy with both hands I love it. When running any type of equipment they work great for me. The one I have fits inside my boise noise canceling head phones so when I am in a noisy area I can still hear but it does not cancel the noise for the other party.
I also have an induction loop made by Nokia which comunicats with my hearing aids. That works better for me as it is totaly hid from everyones eyes unless they are looking in my ear. No wires. This only works after one has messed up there hearing like I have.

Personaly I think you shoud try it. You don't have to use it all the time. and they are under $100 US. and also make the job safer.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Dwan Hall said:
I am a gaget freek and sometimes I look like 1. I have a bluetooth device and when I am busy with both hands I love it. When running any type of equipment they work great for me. The one I have fits inside my boise noise canceling head phones so when I am in a noisy area I can still hear but it does not cancel the noise for the other party.
I also have an induction loop made by Nokia which comunicats with my hearing aids. That works better for me as it is totaly hid from everyones eyes unless they are looking in my ear. No wires. This only works after one has messed up there hearing like I have.

Personaly I think you shoud try it. You don't have to use it all the time. and they are under $100 US. and also make the job safer.

Dwan, what...WHAT...Speak UP!...I have industrial deafness...you'll have to speak louder. I know where you are coming from. I ran steam turbines for many years without hearing protection and I have about 35% loss of the higher frequencies. If I ever actually go to a bar or busy restaurant I just smile and nod my head when people talk to me. Thanks for the feadback. I'm going to try one of the Blue Tooth sets and look like a doofus.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Electra_Glide said:
Make sure you take AND post pictures... :cool: ...unlike that guy who was supposed to produce those thumb pictures for that Kobelco...:lmao

Joe

Yep Joe, ya gotta watch out for those fair weather friends:rolleyes: . I'll go look at the headsets tomorrow night.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I'm sorry, I know there's some sort of conversation going on, but I'm having a hard time understanding it.... :yup

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Well I got the Bluetooth doofus thingy...."Award Winng Design" it says on the box. Blue Ant X3 Micro, weighs 13 grams. Works OK but not as good as I hoped. I can hold a conversation in the cab of the excavator with all doors and windows closed but I have to stop work in the skid to hear whats going on. Works well in the truck or car. Does a few funny things from time to time...but that might be the operator.
:cussing
Its crap for listening to the radio compared to the Nokia stereo headset I had before.

One more thing...I strongly advise turning off the auto answer when you are listening to the radio through the headset......especially if you are the type who can't sing..like me...but you sing along in the cab anyway :Banghead :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pics to follow

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Squizzy246B said:
One more thing...I strongly advise turning off the auto answer when you are listening to the radio through the headset......especially if you are the type who can't sing..like me...but you sing along in the cab anyway :Banghead :eek: :eek: :eek:
Hmmmmm......and what's your phone number Squizzy???:laugh

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Oh ya I forgot to mention turn off the auto answer, especialy if you are having a bad day. Mine fits under a pair of Boise noise canceling headphones so I can here quite well when running any of my equipment, but the headphones do not block the background noise for the other party.
They are not perfict for every ocation but do work for me.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Mine came in the mail on Thursday. Motorola unit. $29 on Amazon.com. Works great in the truck, range gets blocked by any structure when walking away from the phone unit (only supposed to be about 30' anyway. Only tried it a little on the backhoe. OK so far. Trying to get used to the stares from everyone else. Belt clip for the phone should take care of my range problem.
Overall much better than talking and driving without it.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Well, my trial is complete and I have gone back to the Nokia wire set...mainly for clarity. My hearing is not the best and I struggle with the blue tooth thing. Most people who I have discussed this with have said they tried two or three headsets before they got one that worked well. The Motorola one seems popular.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Anyone have an opinion or experience with the more expensive Bluetooth headsets? I have a $30 Best Buy gift card, so for the same $30-40 out of pocket I could get a good one if they are worth it.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
I ended up with the motorla HS815. It's much better than trying to hold the cell up to my ear and shift etc. in traffic. I don't use it all day but I do like it very much. Most of the time it has plenty of volume although a few times I have to listen very hard to hear a caller. It's always the same people though so I'm guessing that they are talking softly or maybe it's just their phone. It's rechargable so no batteries to buy. Only downsides are getting that look that people give you with it on your ear :spaz and remembering to take it with me (and not lose it).
edit: $29.99 at amazon.com