• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 331 stalling out

nepondguy

Hey guys. You saved me with my T190 issue this spring so I am hoping you can help me out again. I have an older Bobcat 331 mini ex that is getting tired but hey it's paid for and makes my weekend projects easier. It has had an issue lately of stalling out. It will work completely fine for days and then all of a sudden it stalls out under even the slightest load. I had though maybe it had bad fuel or junk in the tank so drained it completely and blew out the lines. Seemed to do the trick for a few weeks but now it is back. Fuel filter is fairly new. Could the fuel pump be going? Does it seem like a fuel issue? Any additives that you guys have used that seem to help clean a fuel system out? I appreciate any help. Thanks

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Engine stall is typically a fuel supply issue. When it stalls and dies, is the primer bulb sucked flat? After it stalls, when you remove the fuel filter is it full of fuel?

Unless it stalls hard, like the hydraulics puts a extreme load on it and kills the engine quickly, that's a different issue.

nepondguy

I will have to check the bulb and filter. It always starts right back up without any issue. It seems to idle fine but as soon as you do anything with the hydraulics it stalls out. But then like I mentioned it will be fine at times. Yesterday I worked for hours with it knocking down trees and pulling stumps, then all of a sudden it would keep stalling under any load.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't have any diagrams for the 331 so I can't help much. This is not easy to describe in words, fuel issue will typically be a slow stall. Engine slows, even labors, spits and sputters at an idle speed and dies. Hydraulic system stalls are different, as in the engine is running smoothly and you work any a function and it dies immediately, much like letting the clutch out too fast on a manual shift transmission.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Sadly, as I stated, I have no information on the 331 to work with to have any ideas, hopefully bobcatdan or crewchief will spot this thread as they have access to more info than I do.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
I was running one of my hoes the other day and little to my knowledge the fuel gauge is faulty :rolleyes: and it would run from full speed full power to complete silence almost instantly it felt like the hyd pumps stalled the motor completely out ...... After a couple gallons of juice she was good to go, not sure if my story helps you much but made ya read it anyways :tong lol,

I would look at a fuel delivery problem as well, swap filters check primer bulb etc. my dad's an old boat mechanic for 35 yrs and you would be surprised how many problems was as simple as a $10 damn primer bulb, check valves would fall apart and plug up.... You would grab it to pump it and it would be hard so you thought it had fuel on the other side at first glance.

Pj

nepondguy

That's interesting on the primer bulb. It is pretty hard to pump. I assume that is just a generic part and not bobcat specific? As far as the pickup tube I will have to check that as well.

nepondguy

My service manual doesn't have any information on the pickup line. Is there an easy way to inspect it before I go tearing things apart?

nepondguy

It did seem to run fine when the tank was full. I bought a new primer bulb today so will throw that on tomorrow. I can't find anything anywhere about how to pull the pickup tube out of the tank?

melli

It did seem to run fine when the tank was full. I bought a new primer bulb today so will throw that on tomorrow. I can't find anything anywhere about how to pull the pickup tube out of the tank?

Can buy the manual online for $10 at tradebits...
btw - from what I see, pain...check to see your overflow tube is clear.

melli

Curious to know if your primer bulb replacement worked for you?
As someone mentioned, cracked pickup tube is a possible problem...other stories I've heard are plugged screen (on end of pickup tube), vent tube plugged, fuel line leaks and bad fuel filter. Replacing pickup tube means one has to gut interior. I have AC in mine, so it means removing AC unit whenever mine goes...shame the engineers couldn't have made it a touch easier to get at....

nepondguy

I have not had a chance to swap out the primer bulb yet. It is sitting on my workbench so might try tomorrow. What manual is available there? I have the bobcat service manual but there is nothing in regards to the pickup tube. It looks like it goes through a rubber gasket into the tank. Not sure if I just pull it out or what?

melli

I have not had a chance to swap out the primer bulb yet. It is sitting on my workbench so might try tomorrow. What manual is available there? I have the bobcat service manual but there is nothing in regards to the pickup tube. It looks like it goes through a rubber gasket into the tank. Not sure if I just pull it out or what?

Looks that way....
Bobcat_331_331E_334_D-Series_[Parts]_Excavator.jpgBobcat_331_331E_334_D-Series_[Parts]_Excavator list.jpg

Also got a parts manual titled _331_331E_334_D-Series_[Parts]_Excavator.pdf
It isn't all that great as it is dated and not easy to navigate, but Bobcat has finally put a parts manual online (just go to their site)...have to use IE to view though...

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Item #3 in diagram is the pick up tube, and it ain't just plain old nylon tubing. :)

nepondguy

Thanks for putting that up but my machine must be older as it certainly doesn't look like that. The fuel line on mine goes in under the tank. I just hate to start pulling on things and risking something breaking. I will explore the bobcat site and see if I can find anything. Guess I could also go to the dealer and see what their information says???

nepondguy

Great advice with the bobcat site! Guess its been awhile since I visited that as it was pretty useless for awhile! I found the one for my machine. Looks like the fuel line just connects to the bottom of the tank with no screen or anything?? So now I am very curious to change out the primer bulb. I will let you know what happens. Thanks again.