• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat compact TLBs

Electra_Glide

Anybody have any experience with the Bobcat compact TLBs:

http://www.bobcat.com/products/lbh/index.html

I have a job coming up (sewer line) with about 50' of trenching, and a bunch of load-and-carry. Thinking about renting one of these as opposed to the mini-ex/skidsteer combo.

Nobody seems to use them around here, and the Bobcat dealer doesn't really push them (rather sell skid-steers and excavators), but they do have one or two in their rental fleet.

Take care...

Joe

itsgottobegreen

Well a mini is going to be faster at trenching and the skidsteer is going to be faster at moving material. But the mini backhoe won't tear up the lawn as much. I still would go with the combo.

ARPlante

Occupation
Owner, secretary, estimator, mechanic, janitor
What are the two models that your Bobcat dealer carries in their fleet?

Last summer, right after I got my operator's license (so take what I say with a grain of salt:rolleyes: ) I used a new BL570 made by Ingersoll Rand which is the big brother to the B300. (http://irutilityequipment.irco.com/default.aspx?MenuItemID=77)

I had a couple weeks use on it on at a landscaper mainly using it with forks to rearrange their tree nursery and load trucks with a 1 yd bucket- pretty light duty use I would say. I was however, really impressed with its maneuverability as I had to squeeze down rows of trees literally just as wide as the machine and pick out selected trees to move with forks. Then I had to negotiate a obstacle course in getting the trees into a display area in the nursery that was surrounded by other plants, fixed sprinklers and buildings. Definitely not the most appealing job for a green operator to be doing, but the boss trusted me and was impressed with my skills so he gave me the job. After that exercise, I will say that the four wheel steering really impressed me and made the work relatively easy. Otherwise, travel speed was pretty good and made short work of traveling a couple hundred ft at a time on short load and carry applications- though it was bouncy at times even on flat ground. Loading trucks was a breeze compared to the Bobcat 863 we had at the shop as the machine was really stable with the bucket in the air, even on uneven, rutted ground. Also, visibility to the bucket and forks was pretty good, but I don't have anything else to compare it other than a Komatsu 380 wheel loader that I run now:rolleyes:

In terms of trenching ability, I took I out in the abandoned field behind the nursery and played around for a couple hours. Seeing as how it was my first attempt at ever using a backhoe or trenching for that matter, I was stilled impressed by its relative strength for its size and its ability to quickly cycle. I found it very responsive to the controls (almost a bit too jerky sometimes- probably due to my lack of experience :rolleyes: ) but otherwise very tight and precise in movement. Repositioning was relatively quick and simple and I was able to dig a 10 ft deep trench in a matter of mins with one repositioning to make the trench 15-20 feet long. It's hydraulics were plenty strong as I was able to easily pull the machine several feet with the stick if I dug in deep.

I hope this helps alittle, but do take it for what its worth coming from a green operator. If this machine is a good representation of the other models Bobcat and Ingersoll-Rand make, I think one of these machines could be a economical option for your application if you still have the room the maneuver a machine as it still is bigger that a skidsteer and mini-ex- no matter if it has 4 wheel steer.
Good luck with everything, and sorry for the long post! :)

capt_met

i have a B300 bobcat. i can't say enough good things about it. if you rent be ready for a suprise. it has amazing power and is very smooth to operate. prior to purchasing it i tried the other compact tlb's and the B300 is in a class of its own. i find it more comfortable than a skid steer. trenching is not a problem it is easy to turn and reposition or reach back pull the brake and move back with the bh bucket. as far moving dirt it can hold its own. it seems to me the longer the distance you have to move the dirt the better the advantage for the B300 compared to a skid steer. the skid steer and mini-ex combo has advantages in tight places or when digging and you need to pile the dirt behind you. where i work most the time there is plenty of room and this hasn't been a problem. i work by myself and am happy with one machine.
i will adding a pilot control valve to the hydraulics so that i will be able to use all but the high flow skid steer attachments on the front. when this is completed it will be the perfect machine for me.
good luck and let us know how it went,
metin

capt_met

also need to add be careful loading on a trailer. it turns at both ends so be aware of both ends moving. its not a problem once you get used to it.

Electra_Glide

Well,

I stopped by the dealer's "open house" yesterday, and looked at the one he has in the rental fleet. Unfortunately, it's only a B100, so it's the smallest model they make, but it certainly looks like it would be adequate. I'm pretty sure I can make it work.

While I agree that the mini-ex/skid steer combo would be more productive, this job is kind of small. It's only 50' of trenching and about 10 tons of bedding material. I'm willing to accept the productivity tradeoff to only have a single machine on-site.

According to the salesman, Bobcat is going to be getting out of this market, and no longer offering these machines. He says that Ingersol Rand (the parent company of Bobcat) will continue to offer the machines, but not Bobcat.

This may become a moot point, since after my visit to the dealer, I'm now seriously considering purchasing a new S175 (more on that in another thread). If that happens, then I'll just rent an excavator for the day...

Joe

Jarhead

Does anyone know how to adjust the park brake on the B300? As far as I can tell it is hyd. release and spring applied?