• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Broken Axle (?) Identification

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I have a 92 Ford L9000, 3406c/Fuller 8LL. I think we may have a broken axle, (Something is broken anyway) so while I wait for the wrecker I am trying to figure out what axles this has, maybe somebody will have some pointers.

View attachment KIMG0238.JPG

View attachment KIMG0234.JPG

View attachment KIMG0235.JPG

The symptoms are a rotational clunking, very loud and sharp when loaded and accelerating, quieter but still distinct when letting the truck roll. The truck moves enough to get the load off, but I am pretty sure that something will be flying out the side of a case if it goes much farther. So far I have not had to do any work on the rears on this truck. I have rebuilt many pickup rears, but I have not ever worked on a rear bigger than what is in a International rollback before, and never a tandem, so any advice is appreciated . . .

Tyler d4c

Look to be Meritor to me or Rockwell some thing I'm not sure when Rockwell became meritor

Truck Shop

Rockwell 40-145 or 20-145, probably 3.91 or 3.73 ratio possibly a 4.11. More than likely
lost the nose bearing on the pinion. Very common drive especially in a Ford.

Acoals

Occupation
Rockwell 40-145 or 20-145, probably 3.91 or 3.73 ratio possibly a 4.11. More than likely
lost the nose bearing on the pinion. Very common drive especially in a Ford.

I was pulling up out of this hole loaded:

View attachment KIMG0222~2.JPG

I had backed it down a little farther this load, and it was a bit soft. Pulling out was tough, even in deep low an it took a couple attempts and it hopped once or twice. If I had not been alone I should have pushed the load while the driver started. I drove it out and up to the road, didn't notice an issue until I started puking out onto the road.

That being said, do you still suspect the nose bearing on the pinion?

Acoals

Occupation
What would the distinction be between the 40-145 and the 20-145?

Is there any source for service information?

Is there a parts diagram anywhere? I have never been inside one of these so I am not really clear on how the power divider works.

crane operator

I'm going to suggest that you take a good look at the dayton lugs and the drums/ wheels. I pulled a third member once for a loose wheel, and I've also broken a drum/ wheel.

A good third member pulled out of the truck, laying on the floor next to a loose wheel- made me feel pretty dumb.

That isn't to say that you haven't broken a axle or other things inside. I've found that you can usually locate which axle the problem is in, by having someone walk beside the truck while its clunking, and locating the sound. Its easy to pull the axles and check them. Then a debris check for missing teeth.

Truck Shop

What would the distinction be between the 40-145 and the 20-145?

Is there any source for service information?

Is there a parts diagram anywhere? I have never been inside one of these so I am not really clear on how the power divider works.
Very common rear drive normally one set of numbers designates front or rear. There is a Rockwell
PDF file online-at one time for the 145. But at the price of parts and time involved in most cases
it's cheaper to buy a used take out or reman.
It could have snapped a axle also, especially if it was a Eaton 402 or 404 series. Rockwell normally
have tough axles. If it did break a axle there is a easy way to fish the inner broken shaft out.

crane operator

It was just barely loose enough to walk a little bit, and clunk when loaded turning.

It wouldn't move empty. I heard it when turning tight in a parking lot loaded, and it sounded like something torn up inside the axle. It sounded just like a broken axle.

Acoals

Occupation
I will check the Dayton wheels, though I am pretty sure it's not that. I will pull the axles when I get it back to the shop also, but the more I am thinking about it the truck will probably just need a third member.

Anybody have any recommendations on where to source one? Upper Midwest maybe?

crane operator

Vander haags, weller, LKQ, ship anywhere. I've done business with all of them.

I had a great experience with frontier truck parts out of michigan with a front steer axle recently.

I use TCS out of strafford missouri, and I'm sure they ship also.

Acoals

Occupation
I found a parts catalog for the Rockwell/Meritor rears, I am attaching it here for future reference.

I notice that there is one number in the serial that identifies a locking rear. I have often wished this truck had full lockers, would it be a simple matter of sourcing a locking center section?
That being said, I don't have time to have the truck down for any longer than it has to right now, so if it was a lot of messing around I would have to pass.

Attachments

• meritor-axle-rt40145-and-rd20145-carrier-b13200s1917-axle-shaft-parts-and-service-manual.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 3

Truck Shop

Weller will be the most common reman. What ever you do make sure and wright
the mileage and date installed on it with a paint pen. Really too bad my old company
has a front and rear 145-Rockwell drive set on pallets setting for 8 years.

Truck Shop

I found a parts catalog for the Rockwell/Meritor rears, I am attaching it here for future reference.

I notice that there is one number in the serial that identifies a locking rear. I have often wished this truck had full lockers, would it be a simple matter of sourcing a locking center section?
That being said, I don't have time to have the truck down for any longer than it has to right now, so if it was a lot of messing around I would have to pass.
would need a switch with light and correct locker axles to go with it.

Acoals

Occupation
would need a switch with light and correct locker axles to go with it.

Sorry to keep asking questions ... But suppose I sourced a locking third member and matching axles, could I cap off the air lines for the locker until I have time to mess with a switch and all in the cab? That would be about January . . . Could I run it as an open rear?

Truck Shop

Correct-you will have to put air to it to lock clutching gear and fork to install. Then install the
rest later. We had some that came factory locker but had to disconnect them, drivers would
forget leave locked up on dry pavement and snap axles.

JaredV

If you can get a locker in it, DO IT! You won't regret it. One locker makes a big difference. I've spun out so many times with the interlock in and then put in the locker and drove right out.

crane operator

Locking rears are probably going to be a lot harder to find. And twice the $$$.

I'm not saying locking rears are bad, just that it begs the question: would you rather be up and running, or spend time looking for rear lockers?

Acoals

Occupation
Locking rears are probably going to be a lot harder to find. And twice the $$$.

I'm not saying locking rears are bad, just that it begs the question: would you rather be up and running, or spend time looking for rear lockers?

I am going to be up and running for sure, I just might try a little to get a locker. My instinct says you are right about the time and money though.